How big of QT tank needed

JCSReefing

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2014
Messages
450
Reaction score
66
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out how people who get Ich in there DT, take all the fish out for a dormant period to let the parasite die. So I pretty sure have ich and have blue hippo tang, 4 clowns, golby, wrasse, and a blenny for fish in my 100g reef.
I want to take all the fish out for treatment for say 16wks to be sure there’s no ich in the DT Anymore and cute the fish.
My question is, obviously I cannot set up or pay for a 100g QT tank for ample space for the tang. I have a 20g tank with a 10g sump
Laying around. Can I use this? I know tangs say to never put in a small tang obviously so when people QT say a hippo tang, and others with it, what size tank is needed so they don’t die in the QT tank??
 
Get a 40 breeder for the 16 weeks.
 
16 weeks is waaaayyy longer than the fallow period for ich.

Anyway, a 20gallon should work to qt those fish as long as the tang isn't huge. Watch your ammonia.

How are you treating the fish?
 
16 weeks is waaaayyy longer than the fallow period for ich.

Anyway, a 20gallon should work to qt those fish as long as the tang isn't huge. Watch your ammonia.

How are you treating the fish?

Lol, I meant 6 weeks.
The OP mentioned 16 weeks as what confused me.
 
16 weeks is waaaayyy longer than the fallow period for ich.

Anyway, a 20gallon should work to qt those fish as long as the tang isn't huge. Watch your ammonia.

How are you treating the fish?

Was thinking cupermine. Suggestions?
 
My wife just noticed I upgraded my QT tank from a 10gal to a 29gal LOL!.... it's been a month
She gave me the "uhhh dennis..... when did the little tank in your office get bigger?!"
Just do it, if she's going to kill you it will be when your sleeping
 
Do you have a substrate in your DT or is it bare bottom? How much rock do you have and can it be easily moved? Any inverts in your display? Do you have access to cholorquine phosphate?
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top