How do I know if my rodi system is making clean water?

Steven Goff

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2019
Messages
111
Reaction score
46
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question - I've hooked up a rodi system that I got used with the tank I just acquired. The output of the system is about 1 gallon per 10 mins (a guess but it is coming out like a trickle). But the real question is - how do I know if this is clean water or not? Is there a test other than putting into tank and seeing if anything dies? (that was a joke)

I can keep buying water at the LFS but it would be good if I can start making my own.

Thanks
 
This might be a dumb question - I've hooked up a rodi system that I got used with the tank I just acquired. The output of the system is about 1 gallon per 10 mins (a guess but it is coming out like a trickle). But the real question is - how do I know if this is clean water or not? Is there a test other than putting into tank and seeing if anything dies? (that was a joke)

I can keep buying water at the LFS but it would be good if I can start making my own.

Thanks

Good question! I suggest that you start by getting a TDS meter or a conductivity meter. Additionally, you may also want to watch BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing #7 (while you are at it you may also find the rest of the series very informative).
 
This might be a dumb question - I've hooked up a rodi system that I got used with the tank I just acquired. The output of the system is about 1 gallon per 10 mins (a guess but it is coming out like a trickle). But the real question is - how do I know if this is clean water or not? Is there a test other than putting into tank and seeing if anything dies? (that was a joke)
I can keep buying water at the LFS but it would be good if I can start making my own.
Thanks
What you want is one of these
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-inline-tds-meter-dm-1-hm-digital.html
Hook it up so 1 sensor is before you make water and one after. This will tell you your in coming and out going water purity. If you want you can even add 1 after your RO membrane so see how much just that part reduces your TDS. They make singles, duals and triples.
 
Last edited:
What type of ro/di system did you get? You can either get a manual style tds meter or they have various model tds meters that can be installed online on your system. The tds meter will allow you to see your incoming water tds, what it is after the ro membranes then what the final product is after passing through the di stage.
 
I have 3 TDS meters. One on the tap water, one on the water after the RO membrane and one after the DI. It really helps to be able to monitor your unit's effectiveness and kind of cool to note the small seasonal changes in water quality from your water supplier. Our TDS is around 30-32 in the winter and as high as 45-48 in late spring.
 
I have 3 TDS meters. One on the tap water, one on the water after the RO membrane and one after the DI. It really helps to be able to monitor your unit's effectiveness and kind of cool to note the small seasonal changes in water quality from your water supplier. Our TDS is around 30-32 in the winter and as high as 45-48 in late spring.
Wow! That's not bad compared to us here in Florida. Ours can be anywhere from 160-200
 
Our water is very hard and loaded with chlorine and chloramines. You can smell it when you start the shower. Its gross. I'm also thinking about putting a softener on the house.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top