How do I remove an anemone that is firmly attached?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bct15
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
2,845
Reaction score
173
Location
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large pizza Carpet anemone that I would like to remove and sell or trade in (it's at least 12-14 inches when opened up under halides). It has gotten so big I am worried it will eat my fish, and is taking up a huge high par portion of my rockwork directly under one of my halides that I would like to put some corals. It has even killed a coral colony by shading and started stinging another one that I moved, at night it changes position and during the day it blows up real big making the space requirement or it almost 18 square inches.

The issue is, it is attached to a rock at the very bottom of my stack, and then stretches up to the top. It has a good hold at the rock it's holding onto, and there is no way I can reach in there and get it off. This anemone is also very sticky and I would not be able to work with it without it sticking to me and stinging me. Is there any tricks to get this guy to move to perhaps my backwall where I can easily pull it off?

Here is how it is during lights out, and you can see how much space I have to keep open for it.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372093845.638093.jpg


And here you can kind of see its foot going deep into the rocks.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1372093899.691012.jpg



Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Well there are several methods.....

1. You can put some strong flow on it. Sometimes they will release due to this

2. If you can get the rock out I went and did this flipped the rock over with the anemone just out of the water line and it released

3. If it does not release on its own, you can use something like a credit card or something NOT sharp and slowly remove the foot from the rock, after you get though about 1/4 of it, it will be cake to finish removing it.
 
Whenever I need to move a nem I get a bag of ice and place it on the side of the foot. They hate it and they let go.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Second the ice, has worked for me.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP on my iPhone5
 
You can tickle the foot has worked for years just have to get under a small piece and work your way under him he will release. Sometimes it takes an hour if you can't take the rock
 
Whenever I need to move a nem I get a bag of ice and place it on the side of the foot. They hate it and they let go.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Anywhere in the foot, or right where is attached at?


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
You can tickle the foot has worked for years just have to get under a small piece and work your way under him he will release. Sometimes it takes an hour if you can't take the rock

If you tickle the foot they tend to laugh a lot. :)
Seriously, I was going to say ice too, but any of the methods suggested work well, just be careful not to tear the foot.
 
If you tickle the foot they tend to laugh a lot. :)
Seriously, I was going to say ice too, but any of the methods suggested work well, just be careful not to tear the foot.


LOL sounds funny I know but I have been i this hobby for 16 years even tho' my screen name on this forum is new I'm actually an old timer.

This is actually a really old method of removing Nems I have been using in for at least 12 years.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top