How do I stop Bubbling/Gas exchange in my sump?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2015
Messages
2,787
Reaction score
2,566
Location
Lawnguyland, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trigger Crystal sump with dual intake that flows into the filter socks.

To stop the waterfall splashing noise since the water line is a good 4 inches from the sump bulkheads, I added pipes and let it dip about half an inch under water. This caused bubbling (skimmer-like bubbling- I guess gas exchange? very noisy). So I cut back the pipes to where it's about half inch above water. Same results, bubbles. I then drilled holes on either side of the pipe, above water, and still same result.
Removed the pipes, no bubbles, but water comes splashing down into the sump and just as noisy. Bubbles up with and without the socks.

Any idea how I can stop the bubbling and the noise it causes?

Sorry for poor quality photo- I can try to take a better one later if you need it

ucE7CAs.jpg
 
Last edited:
Did you try running the lines further down in to the water? Although I don't have a Trigger sump, my drains do go in to socks. I ended up extending them almost to the bottom of the socks. Completely silent and no bubbles. Drawback, I have to remove the pipes when I change the sock, so obviously didn't glue them in.

Maybe worth a shot?
 
I have the trigger systems crystal cube and I extended the pipe almost all the way down to the bottom of the socks ( actually the socks are almost to tall for the cube) no noise or splashing from there. Now I need to work on my overflow
 
You're welcome and I'm glad it worked.
 
Anytime, we're here to learn and if we know something to try and help. I'm a nnewbie too just 10 months myself
 
Last edited:
I guess your welcome dbl I didn't see your post when I wrote mine

That's too funny. I didn't even see you had posted the same thing. I just noticed it worked. So credit to you also my friend!!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top