How do I stop my blenny from killing this coral?

Leon Gorani

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2019
Messages
420
Reaction score
95
Location
East Granby
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this coral and this bi-color blenny that seems to love perching on my corals and I have even seen him picking at it as if he’s trying to eat it. My first question was what is the name of this coral? I only bought it a month ago and forgot what it was called but I want more. And my other question is what should I try to do to get my blenny to stop sitting on the coral and pecking at it?

I believe he is swimming around the coral and sits against it or right on it until he sees me and moves away. I’m thinking of taking the coral and putting it in a clear bed to keep the blenny away but won’t it just do the same thing later when I put it back?

AB92D62D-D9BA-4C0F-9BF7-66FA9B01AAB1.jpeg F64479E4-2333-4260-979B-C80F7402630A.jpeg 078EEDB0-24B9-4C3E-9322-477B37C2785A.jpeg 5DE29BE8-E8A9-469F-AA66-01916889E77B.jpeg
 
This is what it looked like 2 weeks ago before it started attacking the coral.
Oh also, in the second pic is another coal he was sitting on and eventually killed….
 

Attachments

  • 43453451-D1ED-454A-A6E3-0C6B41C0535C.png
    43453451-D1ED-454A-A6E3-0C6B41C0535C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • FCB6554B-4FB6-486A-BFB1-AF68228EACD5.jpeg
    FCB6554B-4FB6-486A-BFB1-AF68228EACD5.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 60
In my experience, once a blenny picks a target, it never gives up on it. And if the blenny knows that it bothers you, then they seem to enjoy it even more.
 
That little guy is so cute! Maybe try a barnacle cluster for the blenny. I agree though, they do what they want.
 
Sorry, that coral looks really rough. The fish will do as it pleases, so best bet is put a netting or cup around the coral and get it healthy. Good luck! I hope it recovers.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top