How do I take zoas off their frag plugs without damaging?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kiran
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2021
Messages
513
Reaction score
538
Location
Monterey County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it was possible to take Zoas of their plugs too plant them on rocks? I don't really like the look of the plugs and was wondering if it was possible without hurting or killing the Zoas?
 
If your just trying to place them on your rock easiest way to do it is cut the stem off the plug and use epoxy and glue. The zoas will grow over the plug and cover if
 
If your just trying to place them on your rock easiest way to do it is cut the stem off the plug and use epoxy and glue. The zoas will grow over the plug and cover if
I'm trying to remove the plug all together. I already tried cutting the stem and I'm not a fan of how it looks.

Wondering if it's possible to remove the actual zoa from the plug itself to glue onto the rock.
 
I've used a razor blade to cut under the zoa to remove them from a plug. Some zoas do better than others at healing. I'd glue them to some rock rubble first and then to the rock structure in your tank.
This right here. Be gentle you could always trim frag plug till just the zoas are left with a little bit of plug
 
I don't like the look of the plug either, but after removing my first zoas from the plug, I decided to keep them on and put the plug on the rock because once off the plug they can never be moved. You may want to relocate them later as you add other corals, etc. and even when they have grown off of the plug somewhat, you can still pull it all off. Once the plug changes color with algae, etc. it is not as noticeable.
 
I use disposable medical scalpels from Amazon. Scrape along the plug surface (same as razor) and using tweezers with a drop of gel glue it works well for me.
 
Last edited:
I was wondering if it was possible to take Zoas of their plugs too plant them on rocks? I don't really like the look of the plugs and was wondering if it was possible without hurting or killing the Zoas?
Right now the polyps are attached to the plug and staying there. If you remove them it’s 50/50 if they just blow away In the wind behind the rocks or something. Glue on zoa usually don’t work they sluff it off and float away then land between some rocks somewhere in back and bond there never to be seen again. But hey it’s up to you
 
Right now the polyps are attached to the plug and staying there. If you remove them it’s 50/50 if they just blow away In the wind behind the rocks or something. Glue on zoa usually don’t work they sluff it off and float away then land between some rocks somewhere in back and bond there never to be seen again. But hey it’s up to you
Ahh ok. Yeah after doing a bit of reading you're right. They excrete this slime that pretty much makes it close to impossible to get them to stick. I'll just do my best to cut around the frag plug and try and cut it in half with a bandsaw so it's not so thick.

Thinking about buying one of those band saws from BRS. Looks useful.
 
Ahh ok. Yeah after doing a bit of reading you're right. They excrete this slime that pretty much makes it close to impossible to get them to stick. I'll just do my best to cut around the frag plug and try and cut it in half with a bandsaw so it's not so thick.

Thinking about buying one of those band saws from BRS. Looks useful.
Yes I have one :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top