How do you keep a QT running without fish inhabitants? Ghost feeding needed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter D311
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
64
Reaction score
8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So say I have my QT up and running with a colonized sponge filter. After my fish leave QT I want to keep the QT going all the time. Do I have to ghost feed the QT to keep the beneficial bacteria alive? If so, how often?
 
Is there a reason behind keeping it running? If you keep your sponge filter in the display tank sump you don't need to to worry about the QT.
 
I keep mine running and drop a few Spectrum pellets in here and there.

With that said if a fish/coral showed any signs of illness (bacteria/parasite/fungus) I "nuke" the system. Which means bleach everything then restart and seed with bottled bacteria.
 
Is there a reason behind keeping it running? If you keep your sponge filter in the display tank sump you don't need to to worry about the QT.
Many reasons. Mainly so I don't have to setup a fresh QT when new fish arrivals come. I'm not putting a sponge filter that has possibly been treated with copper/prazi/ect back into DT sump. Sure I can buy new ones each time and wait for them to seed. But no thanks.
 
I keep mine running and drop a few Spectrum pellets in here and there.

With that said if a fish/coral showed any signs of illness (bacteria/parasite/fungus) I "nuke" the system. Which means bleach everything then restart and seed with bottled bacteria.
Here and there as in once a week? Every few days? Not sure how long it takes for bacteria to die off. So you would nuke QT after you treated ich with copper?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top