How do you tell how old is a MH bulb?

DrewBrees713

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
706
Reaction score
253
Location
Houston
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used light fixture with 2 250w 14k SE Hamilton bulbs about 3 years ago but only used it for a week it stayed in the closet all this time. Totally forgot i had it all this time. Fired it up just now one bulb is very bright and whiter the other one is slightly dimmer and less blue with black stain on it. How can I tell if they're still good or should I just toss them and get new bulbs ?
 
I think when its very clear inside, then she's dun. Most have a kind of pink/black lookin carbon on the inner halogenated element (when new).
 
I think when its very clear inside, then she's dun. Most have a kind of pink/black lookin carbon on the inner halogenated element (when new).

Really? Always thought the black carbon stain is an indication of shelf life?
 
I have observed them progress from black/pink to clear when used. IMO the SE bulbs really show this pattern more than HQI.
 
All bulbs get dimmer over time. When replacing MH, you should acclimate your fish and corals to the new light.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top