How do you think my new stylophora is looking?

cocowizzz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
160
Reaction score
215
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers I've had this stylo in my tank for about, 5 days now the previous owner was running g4 pros on his tank. I run two current marine lights, big difference. But what i wanna know is how long do they typically take to acclimate? And if anyone knows about how much par they need to survive. The green birdsnest I got the same day didn't seem to be affected by the change, but stylo isn't nearly as flowy as it was in my buddy tank. Any advice appreciated thanks reefers.
20190130_232639.jpeg
20190130_230203.jpeg
IMG_20190129_114025_529.jpeg
 
Lighting, flow and parameters all matter for SPS.

What lights are you running? How long do you have them on for?
Is that powerhead aimed directly at the coral?
What's your nitrate level?
 
Lighting, flow and parameters all matter for SPS.

What lights are you running? How long do you have them on for?
Is that powerhead aimed directly at the coral?
What's your nitrate level?
Two current USA marine less. They are on a 12 hour cycle blues from 12 to 4, then the lights are fully on till 10 then blues and rgbs till 12 then 10% blue is always on. And yes the powerhead is it's the only way I can see actual polio movement. I know they like flow it's just enough for it to move but not enough to blow it away
 
I would just be patient with it. Stylo is pretty tough stuff! And It can handle a pretty wide range of light intensities. It might just be upset that it's not getting what it used to under the G4's.
If everything else is doing well and your parameters are looking good, I wouldn't make too many changes for it.
 
+1 I love the Pocilloporidae family. They’re easy to keep and grow fast. All of mine have done well with moderate to high light and lots of flow. Give it some time... I found that when I added Red Sea potassium, iron, iodide and bio elements, my pocillopora corals got much better color and grew faster. I highly recommend it. But.... be sure if you use that stuff that you buy Red Sea’s test kit for those additives. Too much can be detrimental.

Good luck!
 
I would just be patient with it. Stylo is pretty tough stuff! And It can handle a pretty wide range of light intensities. It might just be upset that it's not getting what it used to under the G4's.
If everything else is doing well and your parameters are looking good, I wouldn't make too many changes for it.
Ok that's what I thought it a just acclamateing! Thank you for the help!
 
+1 I love the Pocilloporidae family. They’re easy to keep and grow fast. All of mine have done well with moderate to high light and lots of flow. Give it some time... I found that when I added Red Sea potassium, iron, iodide and bio elements, my pocillopora corals got much better color and grew faster. I highly recommend it. But.... be sure if you use that stuff that you buy Red Sea’s test kit for those additives. Too much can be detrimental.

Good luck!
I'll look into that a little I currently don't dose anything
 
I'll look into that a little I currently don't dose anything
Yea... I only dose part a, b, and magnesium regularly. I test for the Red Sea stuff about every 2 weeks. The tests are time intensive. Then I dose accordingly. The main reasons I started supplementing that stuff is because my ICP test showed a huge lacking. Also, I’m not one for water changes so I have to replenish stuff somehow. But... I’m pleased with the Red Sea products. If you want to try it, BRS has a starter pack that’s not expensive. There are instructions for dosing by calcium uptake if you don’t want to buy the test kit right away. Still, I’d dose conservatively until you can test.
 
Two current USA marine less. They are on a 12 hour cycle blues from 12 to 4, then the lights are fully on till 10 then blues and rgbs till 12 then 10% blue is always on. And yes the powerhead is it's the only way I can see actual polio movement. I know they like flow it's just enough for it to move but not enough to blow it away
Corals in general need darkness. I’m more concerned with this light schedule, also what current USA. Even the best model can have difficulty growing coral. I use to use one, it couldn’t grow anything well.
 
Yea... I only dose part a, b, and magnesium regularly. I test for the Red Sea stuff about every 2 weeks. The tests are time intensive. Then I dose accordingly. The main reasons I started supplementing that stuff is because my ICP test showed a huge lacking. Also, I’m not one for water changes so I have to replenish stuff somehow. But... I’m pleased with the Red Sea products. If you want to try it, BRS has a starter pack that’s not expensive. There are instructions for dosing by calcium uptake if you don’t want to buy the test kit right away. Still, I’d dose conservatively until you can test.
I'm going to set up a 40 gal here soon with a sump. Then I will get all the extra things to add I have a bunch of the Kent stuff my buddy gave me to dose, I just haven't used any of it yet haha. Cause everything looks happy visually. Besides diatoms here and there I blame that on all my fish I have in such a small tank. But for now I just water change weekly and check once a month with my api test kits.
 
Corals in general need darkness. I’m more concerned with this light schedule, also what current USA. Even the best model can have difficulty growing coral. I use to use one, it couldn’t grow anything well.
The corals love it. No negative affects yet I checked it I actually run it at 4% at night it's not much light at all just enough so have a little glow I think it shuts off a couple hours before it turns on but I'm never home to see
 
I'm going to set up a 40 gal here soon with a sump. Then I will get all the extra things to add I have a bunch of the Kent stuff my buddy gave me to dose, I just haven't used any of it yet haha. Cause everything looks happy visually. Besides diatoms here and there I blame that on all my fish I have in such a small tank. But for now I just water change weekly and check once a month with my api test kits.
Sounds good! I’ve heard good things about the Kent stuff too but I’ve never used it. If I may make a suggestion... make the API test kits the first thing you get rid of/replace. They are notoriously inaccurate, especially the nitrate test. I would recommend Salifert or Red Sea. If you don’t mind spending the extra money, you could grab some Hannah checkers.
 
The corals love it. No negative affects yet I checked it I actually run it at 4% at night it's not much light at all just enough so have a little glow I think it shuts off a couple hours before it turns on but I'm never home to see
Oh.... the more light, the more algae/diatoms you’ll get. Keep that in mind. Certainly the spectrum of light makes a HUGE difference but if you’re having a big problem, some will tell you to reduce the time you have your lights on.... food for thought!
 
doesnt look bad how long you had it. Just monitor the color over the course of a week and if its fading instead of darkening then it could just be receiving too much light. If its darkening just let it be.
I had mine in too much light and it perished. I think they are very hardy once acclimated to your tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top