How dumb of an idea is this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RyanN
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

RyanN

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2021
Messages
138
Reaction score
123
Location
Holland
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a packed 29 gallon biocube I set up a year and half ago and want to upgrade. 10 years ago I worked at a saltwater store and had multiple tanks set up including a 135 gallon which I still have in the basement. Before taking the 135 down I was pretty neglectful to the tank....fed the fish and added top off but that was pretty much it. I just got sick of it. Went a few years with no tank at all then started to miss it. Anyway I didn't want all the cost and maintenance with the 135 so I just set up the 29 gallon with a AI Prime HD. Now, as I said I want to upgrade but feel like getting something 40-50 gallons instead of setting up the old tank because I don't want to deal with the cost of all that lighting and all the maintenance. 40-50 gallons just seems more manageable but it kind of seems like a waste of money because I'll have to buy a new tank because I don't have one that size laying around. My wife says I should just set up the big tank again because it's already here. Anyway I was just looking to get some opinions. Sorry this was terribly written.

PXL_20221123_225113665~2.jpg
 
I currently have a packed 29 gallon biocube I set up a year and half ago and want to upgrade. 10 years ago I worked at a saltwater store and had multiple tanks set up including a 135 gallon which I still have in the basement. Before taking the 135 down I was pretty neglectful to the tank....fed the fish and added top off but that was pretty much it. I just got sick of it. Went a few years with no tank at all then started to miss it. Anyway I didn't want all the cost and maintenance with the 135 so I just set up the 29 gallon with a AI Prime HD. Now, as I said I want to upgrade but feel like getting something 40-50 gallons instead of setting up the old tank because I don't want to deal with the cost of all that lighting and all the maintenance. 40-50 gallons just seems more manageable but it kind of seems like a waste of money because I'll have to buy a new tank because I don't have one that size laying around. My wife says I should just set up the big tank again because it's already here. Anyway I was just looking to get some opinions. Sorry this was terribly written.

PXL_20221123_225113665~2.jpg

+1 vote follow your gut

if you think you want something smaller, then start watching for something smaller. Many people are upgrading right now, so it is an ideal time to find used tank, stand, etc so its not as expensive as buying new. When you find that right deal that does speak to you, if its missing some bits, then perhaps you can scavenge those parts off your old larger tank.

Keep us posted!!
 
Is the biocube in the basement as well?

id personally try the 135 again if you can put it somewhere you frequent and would actually maintain it.

I grow plants all around my house and everything is well taken care of except for the basement plants (and these are the plants I care most about in the house lol). It becomes too much of a hassle if it’s a bit out of the way which makes me procrastinate more haha. Every day i tell myself ahh I’ll just water the plants tomorrow and that ends up becoming 1 or 2 weeks lol. I ended up having to automate things down there so the plants will survive.
 
Only a decision you can make but sounds like you really want a smaller tank than the 135. If so go with that. If you only want it because of additional lighting cost then I would just go with the 135. Cheap lights can work just fine....
 
With the 135 you have a better option for fish. Going from a 29 to 50 is still going to be a similar selection of smallish fish.

Are you more into coral or fish?

I started with a 38 gallon reef with few fish, then 55 to 65, then down to a 29 gallon which I've had for over 10 years which I did because it was easier to maintain. I used to maintain a 120 gallon FOWLR, but it wasn't in my house and I had limited space to work with for good automation, but I got my fix for big fish with that tank.
 
Is the biocube in the basement as well?

id personally try the 135 again if you can put it somewhere you frequent and would actually maintain it.

I grow plants all around my house and everything is well taken care of except for the basement plants (and these are the plants I care most about in the house lol). It becomes too much of a hassle if it’s a bit out of the way which makes me procrastinate more haha. Every day i tell myself ahh I’ll just water the plants tomorrow and that ends up becoming 1 or 2 weeks lol. I ended up having to automate things down there so the plants will survive.
No the 135 was set up upstairs but we got new carpet and the wife is not going to have it up here . I don't blame her, I'm not very careful so water gets all over the floor. Our basement is mostly finished and I don't mind going down there. If I were to set up the 135 I would want to have it automated as much as possible because I know I'd get sick of water changes but I don't want to spend all that money. On the tank I have set up now it's all manual and it's really not a big deal because it's such a small tank.
 
With the 135 you have a better option for fish. Going from a 29 to 50 is still going to be a similar selection of smallish fish.

Are you more into coral or fish?

I started with a 38 gallon reef with few fish, then 55 to 65, then down to a 29 gallon which I've had for over 10 years which I did because it was easier to maintain. I used to maintain a 120 gallon FOWLR, but it wasn't in my house and I had limited space to work with for good automation, but I got my fix for big fish with that tank.
More into corals for sure. A tang or two would be nice though to keep algae knocked back.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top