How effective is prazipro as a bath for new arrivals?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2019
Messages
13,208
Reaction score
10,672
Location
Here
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I was wondering if, for commercial purposes, it would be beneficial to give new arrivals a bath in prazipro as they were being acclimated to retail systems. From my understanding, it makes flukes unable to attach, and they are the main issue of concern here. Would all the flukes just fall off or out during this period, and would this help prevent flukes in the display (I am not sure if the eggs are laid on the fish or externally). I am trying to help a retail system where flukes are the primary killer of fish. I know two rounds of prazi would eliminate them from the display, but would the baths help prevent new flukes from arriving? Would this be useless? For reference, the infected fish placed in FW dips have flukes fall off the body and crawl out of the gills. Is there any other good way to handle flukes in a commercial system (there is a hospital tank, but no QT at the store).
 
Although prazi is not a bad choice, my preference would be be coppersafe. Some, understandably are afraid of copper and seek alternatives..
My personal preference is ruby rally pro which covers an array of potential problems.
General cure is another good choice
 
@Jay Hemdal I was wondering if, for commercial purposes, it would be beneficial to give new arrivals a bath in prazipro as they were being acclimated to retail systems. From my understanding, it makes flukes unable to attach, and they are the main issue of concern here. Would all the flukes just fall off or out during this period, and would this help prevent flukes in the display (I am not sure if the eggs are laid on the fish or externally). I am trying to help a retail system where flukes are the primary killer of fish. I know two rounds of prazi would eliminate them from the display, but would the baths help prevent new flukes from arriving? Would this be useless? For reference, the infected fish placed in FW dips have flukes fall off the body and crawl out of the gills. Is there any other good way to handle flukes in a commercial system (there is a hospital tank, but no QT at the store).
A lot of public aquariums do that. the dose needs to be a bit higher; 10 to 20 ppm for 3 or 1.5 hours instead of 2 to 4 ppm for a 24 hour bath.

The main issue is that you don't want to do this on freshly shipped fish - that adds too much stress. In those cases, you tank the fish for 72 hours, then give them the prazi dip and then move them immediately to a new tank.

Jay
 
A lot of public aquariums do that. the dose needs to be a bit higher; 10 to 20 ppm for 3 or 1.5 hours instead of 2 to 4 ppm for a 24 hour bath.

The main issue is that you don't want to do this on freshly shipped fish - that adds too much stress. In those cases, you tank the fish for 72 hours, then give them the prazi dip and then move them immediately to a new tank.

Jay


Hmm ok I'll let them know. I guess the main issue is they don't have room to house the new fish other than in the retail system (or the hospital tank which is 33 gallons that is hooked up to the system but can be taken offline).
 
I should also add why I didnt make prazi a first choice , from what Jay indicated about stress, Prazi will lower oxygen and appetitie which to me is Not a good welcoming.
 
I should also add why I didnt make prazi a first choice , from what Jay indicated about stress, Prazi will lower oxygen and appetitie which to me is Not a good welcoming.


I'd think it would tank a while to lower oxygen though since I can't imagine a bacteria bloom arising within an hour or so.
 
I'd think it would tank a while to lower oxygen though since I can't imagine a bacteria bloom arising within an hour or so.
Bacterial bloom ? Praziquentenal itself lower saturated oxygen, Nothing to do with a bloom.
 
Hmm ok I'll let them know. I guess the main issue is they don't have room to house the new fish other than in the retail system (or the hospital tank which is 33 gallons that is hooked up to the system but can be taken offline).
I presume they are having their fish shipped in (some wholesalers delver via truck though). If shipped in overnight, I really don't like to hit the fish with anything for the first 72 hours, but then of course, the tank they are in is contaminated. My preference is to then treat the fish and the receiving tank at the same time.

Jay
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top