How is my tuxedo urchin still alive?

QuinnLee512

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Messages
582
Reaction score
207
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Added a foxface rabbitfish recently. This is how I discovered my tuxedo urchin this morning. Moved him to an acclimation chamber and he's still moving. Should I put him out of his misery? Seems cruel letting him be with half his body gone.

20211225_122515.jpg SmartSelect_20211225-135451_Photos.jpg
 
Dont think a foxface would do that. Looks like a rock fell on it, and it definitely wont survive. Its not uncommon for them to topple a rock onto themselves.
Sorry that critter got found like that. Also, urchins do pass away very slowly. Up to you how to deal with it. Dont let it foul in the tank unless you know something will scavenge it quickly.
 
Yeah don't think anything you can do to save the little guy.i would personally put him our his misery,he literally hanging onto life by a thread
 
Yeah I did not think that a foxface would do that even though I could have sworn I saw him pick at the urchin when he was already in this state. Only other culprit would be my valentini puffer but he's never touched the urchin before. They've been in the tank together the whole time. I don't have any rocks that can fall over.
 
Yeah I did not think that a foxface would do that even though I could have sworn I saw him pick at the urchin when he was already in this state. Only other culprit would be my valentini puffer but he's never touched the urchin before. They've been in the tank together the whole time.
Ive had one knock an acro onto itself. Had a branch puncture it.... thought it may heal, but it didnt. Took about a month to pass.
For what its worth they dont have the same nervous system as us, or brain to process the feelings as us.
If it will feed the tank, thats the natural way of it....
 
I'm currently moving from a 32g biocube to a 75g. Would like to have a tuxedo urchin for algae control which is why I'm trying to figure out what happened to see whether I should get another or not.
 
I'm currently moving from a 32g biocube to a 75g. Would like to have a tuxedo urchin for algae control which is why I'm trying to figure out what happened to see whether I should get another or not.
In my experience, the pincushions harvested from florida keys last the longest and do the most work. (And cost less!) not as pretty though.
 
Thanks. Maybe I'll just stick with big snails like the turbo, conch, and fishes for algae control.
 
Also, tuxedo have large gaps in the spines that a puffer could bite into. Alot of other pincushions dont have those gaps and are more defended. Fwiw.
 
How about supergluing an egg shell over the broken part? If it's still hanging on, I'd give it a chance...no matter how slim.

I wouldn't do a build without an urchin. Well, not with a flower urchin, but certainly any other type. My fire urchin is certainly one of the most spectacular inverts I've heard had in one of my tanks, even if I do have to look for it any time I want to put my hands near the aquarium.
 
How about supergluing an egg shell over the broken part? If it's still hanging on, I'd give it a chance...no matter how slim.

I wouldn't do a build without an urchin. Well, not with a flower urchin, but certainly any other type. My fire urchin is certainly one of the most spectacular inverts I've heard had in one of my tanks, even if I do have to look for it any time I want to put my hands near the aquarium.
Are you saying that these injuries are survivable? I can put him in my coral qt.
 
It looks terrible, and I know very little about physical trauma to urchins, but it is still moving around. Why not try it?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top