How long can a bta be out if water for?

Cobystolz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2019
Messages
285
Reaction score
157
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title kinda explains itself, but I have a bta on a rock that I need to drain the water level below to mortar it to another rock. The mortar cures under water but it can’t be applied under water and it’s best to give it a few minutes to cure, at least in my opinion. So how long do I have to work if the bta has to go above the water level?
 
maybe 3-5 mins max.
Nope, much more than that. you hear about people suspending them to try and get them to let go of a rock. I've had RFAs out of the water maybe 40 minutes? at that point temp becomes my concern. I've had BTAs out for 20 minutes or so.
 
Easily 2 - 3 hours. I hung my BTA upside down to get it off a rock for hours. It finally drop some tentacles but wouldn't let go. I put it back in the water. Strangely enough, I can't tell that it has lost some tentacles.
 
Easily 2 - 3 hours. I hung my BTA upside down to get it off a rock for hours. It finally drop some tentacles but wouldn't let go. I put it back in the water. Strangely enough, I can't tell that it has lost some tentacles.
With rbtas an extra powerhead does wonders.
 
Nope, much more than that. you hear about people suspending them to try and get them to let go of a rock. I've had RFAs out of the water maybe 40 minutes? at that point temp becomes my concern. I've had BTAs out for 20 minutes or so.

I was rescaping my rock and one of the rocks that I thought was just a rock had a Eva I forgot about on and it was out of water for at least an hour or so. I’m pretty sure it’s still alive but the water is still murky so I can’t tell
 
I’ve seen anemones in tide pools, barely sitting in water after the tide receded. Not BTAs but I’m sure they won’t die or anything.
 
My RBTA are usually out of the water for at least an 1/2 hour whenever I do WC. I do 40-50% WC every 4-6 weeks. I usually take out the rocks (with RBTA) and scrub all the xenia off the rocks before I put them back in the tank. They don't like it each time, but they've been growing for the last 3 yrs.
 
Many exporters and wholesalers ship nems with just enough water to keep them wet.

If you use a spray bottle to keep the nem wet, you can probably go for hours without putting it back into the water.
 
FYI if you have a stuck on nem,turkey baste round the edges working your way in ,worked for me but the loon is back up there after a water change ha
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top