How long can sand sit in tank water?

Cjsanders757

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
290
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can sand sit in tank water without rock or lights?? It's a 75g with a mp10, CSS 65 and a eshopps sump/refugium.
 
I've always wanted to try a dsb but got mixed feelings about it. Do you have anything in your refugium?
 
Most would do the DSB in the Fuge, but if its not big enough, its not really going to be able to a good enough job. If you plan on a DSB I'd recommend doing it in both the DT and the fuge.
I personally don't care much for them, they require to much care per say, and after a certain period of time, you have to change it the sand out.
 
How would you do your refugium bb or dsb??

Barebottom. For maintenance purposes, it is easier to just use Live Rock and Macro Algae for your fuge. When you have to clean detritus, just shop vac the bottom of the fuge and clean it. Sand is a pain for a fuge. This is where most of your detritus gets trapped and you will have to gravel vac it.

Keep it simple. I am growing both SPS and LPS crazy.
 
I ended up taking the sand out of my fuge. It looked cool but turned into a detritus trap. Once I got the sand out I was able to increase circulation and tumble my chateo and it's exploded. Now my fuge is super clean, only live rock and macro algae.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top