How long do you keep bleached corals to see if they revive?

Ironic_Water

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2023
Messages
74
Reaction score
60
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a gnarly dino bloom I managed to beat at the cost of my SPS corals - they're pretty bleached, though some have tiny clumps of polyps that still look alive.

Is there a rule of thumb for how long to keep corals that seem dead?
 
A bleached coral is still alive and can recover.

It sounds like your coral is dead. Most corals turn white when they die so people use the term 'bleached' , but there is a difference
 
I cut down my Pinky the bear coral and everything under her was bleached from lack of light, it took over two months to color up.

My rule of thumb is once nuisance algae grows on it were done.
 
If it's completly covered in growth other that coral. It may turn brown or green.

If it still has any fluorescence in the light, it's still can/could be saved.
 
A bleached coral is still alive and can recover.

It sounds like your coral is dead. Most corals turn white when they die so people use the term 'bleached' , but there is a difference
Next dumb question, how to tell the difference between just bleached and dead? For example, most of my SPS now have some kind of algae on the skeleton.
 
Next dumb question, how to tell the difference between just bleached and dead? For example, most of my SPS now have some kind of algae on the skeleton.
Algae can't grow on live coral tissue.
Algae can irritate live tissue and kill it.
 
Longer than I should

I've had frags recover from 2mm x 2mm of tissue

So there's always hope

So when they start growing algae on them, I toss em

I do have an acro frag that is almost all white tissue when the lights are on, Pearlberry I think. Not tossing that. It's up at the top in the center, so probably expelled a lot of zooxanthellae due to light
 
Chrysophytes can

Pretty sure they are more diatom than algae tho

It's weird that no one seems to have those any more. At least on here they don't

Wonder why that is

Not really an algae as you say.
Diatom/flagellates according to wiki.

Algae can't put a base down on live tissue. It certainly can irritate and kill flesh to do so.
 
Thanks everyone, looks like I have one monti and acro that can be saved based on your guys' replies.
 
I nearly lost this galaxea due to a bacterial bloom but i did not give up on her, and look at her now nearly two years later
20230226_151127.jpg

20241008_161436.jpg
 

Attachments

  • [000369].jpg
    [000369].jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 17

Not really an algae as you say.
Diatom/flagellates according to wiki.

Algae can't put a base down on live tissue. It certainly can irritate and kill flesh to do so.
They looked like diatoms when I put them under the scope

What's weird, Is back then 2019 2020, lots of people were reporting them

Now, they don't seem to be a problem

These microbes definately coated corals and killed them. I was brushing corals with soft painting brushes daily to remove it, fruitless
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top