How Long Does Aiptasia Take to Become Noticeable?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cetus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Cetus

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2020
Messages
208
Reaction score
66
Location
San Francisco
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a bit of red ogo gracialiara and I'm currently quarantining it against ich but I also want to know how long it'll take for aiptasia to start growing in the tank if it does have it. It's been around 4-5 days since it started quarantine and I want to make sure it really is absolutely free of pests. How long would you say is a good period of time to wait for aiptasia to pop up? So far I haven't noticed anything growing and the tank conditions are fairly standard I assume. I just want to do whatever I can to prevent bringing aiptasia into my DT.
 
In my experience aiptasia can lie in wait for quite a while if it has to. I thought I got rid of it on a rock and it slowly crept around from beneath the rock months later when I rebuilt the rockscape.
 
I had a few, treated them with F Aiptasia and thought they were gone for about a month. I moved some rocks around to make room for an Elegance. And while I didn’t see anything for the first few days, I just noticed a quarter size aiptasia hanging out behind one of my scans low on the rock. Just smothered it, so fingers crossed… long story short, you never know and vigilance is key
 
I had a few, treated them with F Aiptasia and thought they were gone for about a month. I moved some rocks around to make room for an Elegance. And while I didn’t see anything for the first few days, I just noticed a quarter size aiptasia hanging out behind one of my scans low on the rock. Just smothered it, so fingers crossed… long story short, you never know and vigilance is key
My red ogo's in a 10 gallon quarantine with nothing else but sand at the bottom so... I'm not sure. I'm afraid of keeping it in the QT for too long because I can't supply it with the nitrates it needs but at the same time I don't want to risk an aiptasia infestation. I guess there really is no easy answer then?
 
This was red ogo from Algaebarn if that changes anything. I know they advertise clean algae but I have seen one person report getting aiptasia from a clump of algaebarn chaeto and another getting vermetids from their coralline bottle products. These seem to sort of the exception but am I just being paranoid or would it be better to just put the red ogo in instead of potentially letting it wither away?
 
This was red ogo from Algaebarn if that changes anything. I know they advertise clean algae but I have seen one person report getting aiptasia from a clump of algaebarn chaeto and another getting vermetids from their coralline bottle products. These seem to sort of the exception but am I just being paranoid or would it be better to just put the red ogo in instead of potentially letting it
They say clean, but also that there are no guarantees. Even with QT, I don’t think we can ever eliminate the possibility of a hitchhiker. All we can do is watch and address issues as they come up. If it were me, I would put it in the DT and keep any on it. But then again, something could detach and end up on the other side of the tank. Who knows!
 
They say clean, but also that there are no guarantees. Even with QT, I don’t think we can ever eliminate the possibility of a hitchhiker. All we can do is watch and address issues as they come up. If it were me, I would put it in the DT and keep any on it. But then again, something could detach and end up on the other side of the tank. Who knows!
Very well then. I guess it's a risk no matter what I do and if I'm too paranoid to put anything in well then I'm not really going to have a tank. I suppose I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.
 
Very well then. I guess it's a risk no matter what I do and if I'm too paranoid to put anything in well then I'm not really going to have a tank. I suppose I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.
Ever see any problems with your algea? I just purchased some chaeto from algea barn and have the same concerns. I figured if I kept it in a QT tank for a month I’d see whatever bad pests it has on it
 
I really didn't notice mine until they started talking during movies

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF
 
I ordered a bit of red ogo gracialiara and I'm currently quarantining it against ich but I also want to know how long it'll take for aiptasia to start growing in the tank if it does have it. It's been around 4-5 days since it started quarantine and I want to make sure it really is absolutely free of pests. How long would you say is a good period of time to wait for aiptasia to pop up? So far I haven't noticed anything growing and the tank conditions are fairly standard I assume. I just want to do whatever I can to prevent bringing aiptasia into my DT.
It's best to buy cultured algae from a reputable source if you need this type of guarantee. I've tried to give my halymenia a freshwater dip to kill the aiptasia growing on it, but aiptasia is extremely tough. And I killed a bunch of pods and baby snails the last time I dipped my halymenia...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top