How long leave nori in the tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter BarbH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
2,298
Reaction score
22
Location
Michigan 48843
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how long do people leave nori in their tank before removing it? Is there anything special that people do to their nori before placing it into the tank? The piece I placed into my qt for my chromis I cut into strips on one end and than put it into the clip. They checked it out a little bit but otherwise have left it alone. About ready to remove it since they are settling down for the night, but was wanting to know how long I could leave it in during the day without risking it fouling up the water?
 
Chromis aren't typical nori eaters from my experience, they like more meaty type foods.

If you want to provide it, just put very small amounts for them. If they never seem to touch it, stop offering it ;)
 
Thanks they did investigate and one of them did peck at it, so will give it a few more tries and see. How long would I be okay for leaving the nori in the tank? I know from my fw experience blanced veggies could be left in over night, just not sure on the time frame with a sw tank.
 
I try not to leave it in for long but the leftover in the clip sometimes spends the night. I try to take it out because sometimes when it is remove it smells a little and gets a thick jelly like slime to it. Basically once the majority is eaten, try and get it out.
 
We soak nori and other algae sheets in Selcon before offering in the tank. All of our fish eat it so it doesn't last long - usually 30 minutes or less.

While it probably wouldn't hurt to leave it overnight, I'd probably remove whatever is left at the end of the day.

-Terry
 
Thanks Terry, thinking might leave it for a few hours. When I do offer it to put it in when I wake up in the morning and remove it before I head off to work in the afternoon. Will give them about a 3 to 4 hour time period, that way I can observe to see if they are going after it and less likely to foul the water. Will check and see if I can get Selcon locally, if not will add that to my list for my next order at foster and smiths.
 
I usually just throw a piece in the tank about 3x3 and the tangs eat it all. I never put much more then that but I also feed other foods as well and save the nori for last.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top