How long should i mix instant ocean salt for?

I use Reef Crystals for my salt. I mix 30g at a time using a VERY high powered pond pump. I fill the can with fresh RODI water, turn on the pump and heater, then add the salt in 2 batches allowing at least an hour or so between. When I perform my water changes, the new SW is at tank temp and clear.
 
30 to 45 minutes is about all the time I give for my salt to mix up. I use Reef Crystals.
I stir in the salt till it reaches the right salinity and mix it up till it's mostly clear. Then I throw an air stone and a heater in the bucket while I go scrape the glass and syphon out my tank. Cleaning up the tank takes about 30 mins max and by the time I'm done with that, the water is clear, up to temp, and ready to go in.
 
BRS has a video on Youtube on the mixing and storing times of various brands of salts. Depending on what kind of tank you have, it does make a difference what salt you use, and when you use it after mixing. I make 30 gallons at a time in a brute can on wheels. A cheap powerhead and heater are in there to circulate and heat the water. I generally let it mix at least overnight.
 
BRS has a video on Youtube on the mixing and storing times of various brands of salts. Depending on what kind of tank you have, it does make a difference what salt you use, and when you use it after mixing. I make 30 gallons at a time in a brute can on wheels. A cheap powerhead and heater are in there to circulate and heat the water. I generally let it mix at least overnight.
Gotta get the wheels. Changes the game
 
New salt can hurt gills of fish. Don't change until clear. No need to heat until ready for a water change. It's better to mix first unheated.
Are you suppose to heat it every time? i don’t know where but someone told me if your not doing anything above a 25 percent water change you don’t need to heat it.
 
Are you suppose to heat it every time? i don’t know where but someone told me if your not doing anything above a 25 percent water change you don’t need to heat it.
Better to not heat while mixing them heat to do wc.
My take on heating the water for water change is this;
Temperature of a tank and volume
Minus (% of wc and temperature)
So let's say you have a 100 gallon tank and it's 80 degrees.
You want to do a 25 gallon wc and it's in a bucket in your living room at 70 degrees. If you don't heat it you will lower the temperature of the tank by 2.5 degrees.
BUT a 10 gallon wc will lower it 1 degree.
I probably would raise the temp of the 25 gallon to at least 75 degrees. But the 10 gallon, I wouldn't bother.
 
Better to not heat while mixing them heat to do wc.
My take on heating the water for water change is this;
Temperature of a tank and volume
Minus (% of wc and temperature)
So let's say you have a 100 gallon tank and it's 80 degrees.
You want to do a 25 gallon wc and it's in a bucket in your living room at 70 degrees. If you don't heat it you will lower the temperature of the tank by 2.5 degrees.
BUT a 10 gallon wc will lower it 1 degree.
I probably would raise the temp of the 25 gallon to at least 75 degrees. But the 10 gallon, I wouldn't bother.
Could a water fluctuation of 2.5 degrees put the fish into shock? I know when i do a water change the temperature goes down by at most 1.5 degrees.
 
I use the regular instant ocean salt and I mix my salt manually for about 30 minutes then i let it sit with a power head for 3-6 hours. Is this long enough?
From the Ocean Reef website, "Although the Reef Crystals solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium." I throw a power-head in mine overnight, and that both heats the water and ensures accurate salinity reading via mixing. Once in an emergency, b/c my water change dropped the salinity too low, I used it within 15 minutes, when it was clear.
 
mixing seems to go faster in warmer water but I don’t use a heater nor wait 24hrs
….but then again we are talking water changes of 30% ish not full 100% shockers
 
Are you suppose to heat it every time? i don’t know where but someone told me if your not doing anything above a 25 percent water change you don’t need to heat it.
I agree with @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal that it doesn't need to be heated for watch changes. I heat mine occasionally to bring it to temp but that's so I can use my hydrometer to check my refractometer.
 
I never hear mine for my 1% AWC.
If I need to do a bigger water change then I will heat it after it's mixed. From what I remember people saying, Heating the water prior, you have a better chance of precipitation when mixing.
I also use a powerhead overnight to mix.
 
I agree with @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal that it doesn't need to be heated for watch changes. I heat mine occasionally to bring it to temp but that's so I can use my hydrometer to check my refractometer.
Dang, I had to go back in time a few years to see what you were agreeing with ;)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top