How long to run UV Steralizer for Dinos

ArmyReefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
315
Reaction score
177
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had an issue with Dinos for 6-8 Weeks. I have bought and installed a 25W Aqua UV temporarily plumped into the display.

The two questions I have are

1. How long after Dino's are gone should I keep the UV plumbed to the display? It is around 90% gone at this point, but plan on plumbing it to my return once Dinos are gone.

2. That last 10% does not want to go away, are there types of Dinos that will not be eliminated by UV?
 
I can only tell you what I do, and I run a UV all the time. It went on at Dinos, and hasn't been turned off since. Well, except when putting in certain supplements, etc.
 
So I plan on running it 24/7 but plan on it being plumbed from my return into my tank. You kept yours plumbed in your display? I don't see how I could do that and not have it look like crap. It sits in the main room in my house, and aesthetics are important for this tank.
 
I have mine plumbed from the return pump and the outlet from the UV is connected to the return line on the display, so it stays down in the sump. I was very particular in how my display was going to look. I didn't want anything more than 2 MP powerheads in it.

07 22 2020 - 2.jpg


IMG_1814.jpg
 
Yep, that’s how I will plumb it as well. But while trying to beat these Dino’s, have it directly in and out of display
 
1. How long after Dino's are gone should I keep the UV plumbed to the display? It is around 90% gone at this point, but plan on plumbing it to my return once Dinos are gone.

2. That last 10% does not want to go away, are there types of Dinos that will not be eliminated by UV?

I don't think there is one answer to how long. I would give it six months.
Amphidinium stay mostly on the sand and rock so UV is not effective.
 
So I plan on running it 24/7 but plan on it being plumbed from my return into my tank. You kept yours plumbed in your display? I don't see how I could do that and not have it look like crap. It sits in the main room in my house, and aesthetics are important for this tank.
Mine is an AIO, so I put it in the back compartment, so you don't see it in the main display.
 
Are you sure the last 10% is Dinos, blue lights make everything green and brown look the same. Just a thought.
Yes, I actually turned off the UV sterilizer and ran Chemi clean for cyano as not doing water changes and raising my nutrients caused a pretty good outbreak. It was starting to really effect my corals. During the time I had my UV sterilizer off they came back with a vengeance. After 48 hours I did a thorough cleaning with my 20% water change and turned everything back on.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top