How long to wait before adding coral when bringing some rocks over from old tank

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2020
Messages
83
Reaction score
26
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I setup a new tank about 3 weeks ago, and I moved over 3 large pieces of live rock from my 2 year old reef tank to the refugium as well as adding some of the old sand to the new display as well. Any thoughts on how long I should wait to add corals, especially SPS? I'd prefer this new display to be mostly sticks with some fleshy LPS along the sand but I'm not sure how long to wait. Most of the sand & rock are dry.
 
To be safe? When new rock starts growing coraline would be a good indicator.
 
To be safe? When new rock starts growing coraline would be a good indicator.
Thanks! Is that just to ensure that things have stabilized enough for carbonate skeletons to form?
 
Thanks! Is that just to ensure that things have stabilized enough for carbonate skeletons to form?
I don't do SPS. However I've heard they prefer a mature tank along the same lines as an anemone does. Better safe than sorry.
 
My tank upgrade is ~5 months old. Started with dry sand/substrate. After cycling, I added a couple of pieces of my old live rock and corals I kept. My softies did fine, my SPS about 50/50 (just a few frags and mini colonies). Placement lighting and flow may have played a role. However, almost all new SPS frags that I bring in don't make it. ICP test was fine. Parameters are decent and I've been focusing on locking in my stability. It could still be flow and lighting ( I am using a PAR meter). Or it could be nutrition or biodiversity. In then end, I think the tank just need to mature to be able to keep SPS. Mature = biodiversity and increased stability.
 
Hi Eviee.
I recently setup a new tank, or I moved the content from my old tank to my new tank.
Old rock, new rock, new sand, mix old water and new water.
In my opinion this was just "kinda" a large waterchange. I waited two weeks to add my corals and fish.
I did get some cyano, but now it's all fine and thriving :)
And to wait to get coraline algea I dont know about, I almost didn't get any in my old tank :/
 
Last edited:
Hi Eviee.
I recently setup a new tank, or I moved the content from my old tank to my new tank.
Old rock, new rock, new sand, mix old water and new water.
In my opinion this was just "kinda" a large waterchange. I waited two weeks to add my corals and fish.
I did get some cyano, but now it's all fine and thriving :)
And to wait to get coraline algea I dont know about, I almost didn't get any in my old tank :/
Thanks! Did your corals do fine after the move?
 
So I setup a new tank about 3 weeks ago, and I moved over 3 large pieces of live rock from my 2 year old reef tank to the refugium as well as adding some of the old sand to the new display as well. Any thoughts on how long I should wait to add corals, especially SPS? I'd prefer this new display to be mostly sticks with some fleshy LPS along the sand but I'm not sure how long to wait. Most of the sand & rock are dry.
You don't need to wait at all. What you did is essentially the same as what everyone does when they move their tank. Basically move rock out and move rock and coral right back in once tank is in the new location. Everyone adds corals back instantly. I have done it a few times over the years.

The only variable in your case is the difference in bio load. As long as you put relatively the same proportional amount of food in there wont be an issue.
 
Just remember that if you are transferring from the old to the new and you have made changes to the lighting, etc.... acclimate the corals by gradually adjusting the lighting so you do not shock them.
 
You don't need to wait at all. What you did is essentially the same as what everyone does when they move their tank. Basically move rock out and move rock and coral right back in once tank is in the new location. Everyone adds corals back instantly. I have done it a few times over the years.

The only variable in your case is the difference in bio load. As long as you put relatively the same proportional amount of food in there wont be an issue.
Just remember that if you are transferring from the old to the new and you have made changes to the lighting, etc.... acclimate the corals by gradually adjusting the lighting so you do not shock them.
Thank you both of you! I'll try to add some test corals like a duncan or toadstool and see how they do
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top