How many 90’s are too many?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
1,475
Reaction score
882
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The first picture that has the 4 red pipes to the right of my sump:
I want to drop those pipes about a 12-15 inches. I’ll share some other pics. I marked up the picture to help understand. I have way more drainage than needed, I added a 4th 1.5” drain to the design. As you can see the plumbing behind the overflow was tight, with all the extra drainage, the water is already making a hard left out of the overflow and it’s not like I want 100x sump turn over, does adding 4 90’s per line make any real difference. (The 4 Red 1.5”)

IMG_4908.jpeg IMG_4907.jpeg IMG_4909.jpeg IMG_4911.jpeg IMG_4912.jpeg IMG_4913.jpeg IMG_4910.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I like to use two 45’s myself but since you’re so overkill the 90’s won’t hurt. I have a 20,000 gph return pump ran off a single 1” drain that’s full siphon with a 1-1/2” emergency drain and it’s just fine! I don’t see any need to for any extra drains if your overflow is covered to keep fish and snails out of it.
 
I like to use two 45’s myself but since you’re so overkill the 90’s won’t hurt. I have a 20,000 gph return pump ran off a single 1” drain that’s full siphon with a 1-1/2” emergency drain and it’s just fine! I don’t see any need to for any extra drains if your overflow is covered to keep fish and snails out of it.
@Troylee - do Gatvalves have to be installed vertically? Can they be horizontal? I guess I should search for that, lol

My new challenge is only have about 7 inches from my bulkhead in my overflow to my gate valve. I can reposition it above the bulkhead on the sump. There would just be a 45 above it, but about 8-9 foot of drain line upstream. I could get it on a straight run, but it would have to be horizontal.
 
@Troylee - do Gatvalves have to be installed vertically? Can they be horizontal? I guess I should search for that, lol

My new challenge is only have about 7 inches from my bulkhead in my overflow to my gate valve. I can reposition it above the bulkhead on the sump. There would just be a 45 above it, but about 8-9 foot of drain line upstream. I could get it on a straight run, but it would have to be horizontal.
They can be installed how ever you like it doesn’t change the way they work.. it’s just a glorified ball valve that’s easier to fine tune.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top