How many of us "don't test" aside from salinity?!?

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2017
Messages
1,978
Reaction score
2,407
Location
North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many of us don't test for anything aside from salinity?

Now granted I have a small Deskmate Classic tank (4.8 gallons), but the only thing I test for is salinity. When I started this tank, I knew I could have gone one of 2 ways, test like crazy to hit the "right" numbers across the board, or don't. I went the latter.

To be honest, in my whole reefkeeping career (21 years), I"ve never really tested much, and have had good success. I know I'm probably in a small minority of people that run tanks like this, but I went slow and steady with my tank. Cycled it properly for almost 2 months, Added the CUC, then fish, then corals, and all has been going well.

I stay consistent with water changes every 8-10 days, depending on how weekends work as this tank is in my office, but aside from daily feeding, manually topping off with about 1/16 cup of water a day (as I have a lid on the tank), this method works for me!

What do you guys do. How many others approach their tanks like I do.

Discuss :cool:
 
Last edited:
I think testing becomes less important as the tank stabilizes and matures. For me, I get some enjoyment of the eye test, and eventually I found certain corals were great "canary in the coalmine" specimens for reminding me to check on parameters. However, never testing at all can backfire so I try to do the rounds with my kits at least once every two weeks. I agree 100% that salinity is something to be tested and IMO it often gets forgotten about but can cause a lot of issues.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top