how many start there frags in elevated levels of Alkalinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

johnj

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2018
Messages
482
Reaction score
215
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many start there new frags in elevated levels of Alk and how long for!
Do you really think it makes a big difference for you?

how much better can in really be compared to NSW levels of around 8 dkh
 
how many start there new frags in elevated levels of Alk and how long for!
Do you really think it makes a big difference for you?

how much better can in really be compared to NSW levels of around 8 dkh
I start my frags at whatever my main tank is at. I don’t start at higher alk then adjust down the line. That’s just too many unnecessary steps. You should probably do the same.
 
thank you Guttersnipe
 
This is a good reason to buy from people with very healthy colonies. A coral should be able to handle a moderate to large change every once and awhile, if healthy.

Edit: If you run a uln tank, I’d make sure that your source isn’t keeping them in high dkh. I don’t think they like swings when nutrients are near zero.
 
I keep ALK ranges very similar to those vendors that I purchase coral from; that generally means 8-9.

I've read several research abstracts that suggest higher ALK = higher growth rates and I am pretty sure BRS investigates covered this theory as well with similar results. I am sure it works for some/many, but 8.5 ALK is a denominator for me across multiple systems that is not worth trying to acclimate around all the time. I would not want to add another stressor to the frags.
 
I start my frags at whatever my main tank is at. I don’t start at higher alk then adjust down the line. That’s just too many unnecessary steps. You should probably do the same.
same. I'll acclimate them if there's a big difference between source tank and mine, but I don't adjust alk based on having new frags.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top