How much could I fit in a 24 gallon?

dyjogibson

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2022
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Location
Lehi
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 24 gallon jbj nano cube. This is my first saltwater tank and I am trying to figure out how much I could stock it. I am willing to do large water changes on the tank. Right now I am planning to have 2 ocellaris clowns and 1 royal gramma. I am trying to figure out what else to add. what would you guys add and how much more could I add? If anyone has that same tank I would love to see yours and what you have in it.
 
4-6 small fish would be considered average stocking. 8 or more small fish (eventually) would be considered overstocked - but doable if you have lots of rock, great filtration (including skimmer), bio filter and stay on top of changing out your filter socks/filter floss and water changes.
 
4-6 small fish would be considered average stocking. 8 or more small fish (eventually) would be considered overstocked - but doable if you have lots of rock, great filtration (including skimmer), bio filter and stay on top of changing out your filter socks/filter floss and water changes.
about what size of fish would be considered small?
 
I have 8 fish in a 90g. I would say depending on amount of rock / hiding places and temperament of fish around 4 or 5 would be max.
 
I have 8 fish in a 90g. I would say depending on amount of rock / hiding places and temperament of fish around 4 or 5 would be max.
Regular-sized fish, sure (and it's a good number to aim for). I've kept 8 or more in a 25-gallon lagoon, so there are a lot of variables.
 
I think you will get some pretty different opinions on this question.
The one thing I would say is that the number of fish is variable on size and type of fish (swimming room needed etc).
Just remember to go slow. A well established tank can support much more life than a newer tank.

Pretty exciting, have fun with it!
 
This question is as loaded as "The Great Salt Debate".

There is no "Right" answer here. Some people go with the general rule and keep stock simple and light. Others are anarchists and stock heavy. I fall in the latter category. My 55 is stocked with 17 fish and around 115 corals.

I have a 32g that is lightly stocked 2 damsels a royal gramma and a few shrimp. My observation of this tank is that it grows algae better than anything else. On the flipside, the 55g is virtually algae free. Is this a result of overstocking vs. understocking?

Both tanks run on canister filters. The 55 has a mini sump for the oversized skimmer. The 32 has no skimmer. I don't think the skimmer is exactly the difference, but it IS a difference between the 2 systems so it must be considered. The reason I question if it is the reason for the no algae is that the tank was algae free before I added the skimmer... Take that for what its worth I guess.

Bottom line here is, if you have enough rock to provide filtration as well as enough places for the fish to make their homes, there really is no reason to limit how many fish you have.
 
I am willing to do large water changes on the tank.

I'll bet you $100 you won't. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

This is IMO a terrible plan is all I'm saying. It's incredibly easy to skip water changes, especially when things are going well.

And honestly, I think you'll have problems water changes don't really address.
 
I actually love keeping tanks relatively understocked. The benefit is less waste, less aggression, better chance of the fish swimming in and out of the rocks in a natural way.

Last weekend I visited a local reefer who had a 40 gallon tank. In the tank he had a high fin goby pair, a six line wrasse, a damsel, and a court jester goby. The tank was absolutely beautiful. You saw the damsel all the time and all the other fish now and then. It was really enjoyable to watch.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top