How much flow for a 210 gallon? Icecap Gyre & Octo Pulse

All_talk

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
391
Location
Thorp, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently planning and budgeting for an upgrade to a 210 gallon (standard dimensions 72" x 24" x 29") and I'm sorting out flow options. This will be a mixed reef with some SPS up high, LPS and some softies. I want quality pumps but I don't have an unlimited budget and I want to integrate flow pump control with my APEX, which has led me to the Icecap Gyre and the Octo Pulse.

My current thinking is two 4K Gyres on each end in a push pull configuration (one forward, one reverse), that switch morning to night creating ingoing and outgoing tide waves. And two Octo Pulse 4, one at (or near) each end to introduce randomness and eliminate dead spots through the aquascape. At first glance this seems like a lot of flow, but is roughly similar to the flow I am running is my current tank (80X turnover), and obviously the pumps can be turned down.

This will be an in-wall build and I plan to have the wall cover (overlap) the ends of the tank a little so I can hide the pumps a bit. I would prefer not to have equipment on the back wall of the tank.

Too much, not enough, good plan, bad plan?


Gary
 
I have 2 max spect F350 Gyres - on each side - that randomly and alternately flow between 40 and 80 percent (alternate every 10 seconds or so) - this provides plenty of flow in my tank. The gyres are at the water surface
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top