How much on average does evaporated cooling using fans cool off the tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jwise
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Jwise

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2022
Messages
295
Reaction score
250
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used this technique for aquarium cooling and by about how many degrees does it cool the tank by on average.
 
I don't have any technical data but these 2 computer fans in the first pic will drop temps in this tank (40ish gallons) from 81 to 78 over the span of 2 hours or so. All of my heater come on at 78 and off at 78. 5. I dont have any controllers perse, except for heat, but I can watch temps on my phone when I'm gone and can turn the fans on when needed using a wifi power socket.
Second pic is another hi tech method I use over the sump for my larger system with similar results. I think results will vary depending on the temp in your house. Obviously if you house temps are constantly mid 80s or more a chiller would probably be required. I try to keep our temps mid to upper 70s,
20220821_104600.jpg 20220821_105223.jpg
 
Last edited:
We are having construction done on our house through June - now basically. The hottest part of the year here in Phoenix. Basically half the house was not insulated or missing windows, ceiling etc. it was hard to keep it cool.

having a small desk fan blowing across the room about 6ft away at my biocube kept it from hitting the high temp range most of the time and shutting down the metal halide.

my 10g I have and inkbird controller to turn on a computer fan that sits on my hob filter that I modified slightly. That tank never had any issues with heat. Very stable. The Fan never has to run normally.
 
For a while earlier this year I was having an issue with heat and by using a cheap amazon 9" clip-on fan pointed to the smallest section ( return section) in my sump, I was able to drop the temps from 81-82 down to 79. So about 2-3 degrees.
I found that by moving my Red Dragon controllers inside my stand created this problem. Even with the controllers in there, the fan was able to make a difference.
Once I moved them back out, My temp dropped back down.
 
So it would seem as if the average temp that lowers would be around 2 and 3 degrees lower with the fans over the tank. I was planning on putting the ghl fans over my aquarium for cooling i was going to get the 6 fan one because i have a huge 125 gallon tank my temp runs about 79.5 to 80 degrees but i was hoping that it would be around 76 to 78 degrees within my aquarium
 
we keep out house at between 78 an 80 and the 300 never get over 78 at room temperature. Have a ghl fan but have not installed it yet to the ghl controller.
 
I actually installed a ceiling fan over my reef. It cools it off by a few degrees and I like the look of it...

I think the exact amount it cools depends on humidity levels in the room as well
 
So it would seem as if the average temp that lowers would be around 2 and 3 degrees lower with the fans over the tank. I was planning on putting the ghl fans over my aquarium for cooling i was going to get the 6 fan one because i have a huge 125 gallon tank my temp runs about 79.5 to 80 degrees but i was hoping that it would be around 76 to 78 degrees within my aquarium
The 6" fan I use cools my tank ( approx. 300 gallons) 2-3 degrees. I think you will get close to if not right at your target.
The ghl fans do look slick, but at nearly $200, a cheap clip-on fan ( $20 ) in the sump looks better IMO.
 
So i don't put the fans over the aquarium itself but the sump?
 
So if i get the ghl with 3 fans for my sump it should have the same effect as a 6 fan ghl on the aquarium itself
 
So i don't put the fans over the aquarium itself but the sump?
Either will work, sump is typically more aesthetically pleasing as you won’t see it. But just remember- electrical stuff and water don’t mix so make sure to keep cabinet vented to prevent too much humidity build up, and drip loops and safe cable routing etc.
 
I drip loop everything in my stand and have everything cord wise velcrowed and organized in the stand
 
I was just thinking of the 6 on top should do the trick i will have to figure out mounting because i have screen lids on all the openings on my aquarium does anyone have a suggestion on how i should go about mounting them fans
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top