How soon is too soon to use activated carbon?

The_Skrimp

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2020
Messages
525
Reaction score
663
Location
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about activated carbon. My phosphates and nitrates are low and I’m worried of stripping my water of the nutrients it needs to keep my corals healthy. Recently I’ve been having cloudy water after over doing reef roids so I’ve been thinking about using some activated carbon to clear it up. This tank is currently only two months old and I’m wondering if it’s too soon yet for carbon.
 
If you have a reason to use it, then I say use it and monitor your parameters. Start with half whatever the recommended amount is and adjust as necessary. Heck, remove it after your issue clears up. I only run carbon when I need it, not full time.
 
To put my 2 cents in, with my 180g I put it in with start up bacteria and shrimp cause the smell
 
Anytime
I run it 24-7
I did stop RR year ago, jump in nutrients.
Back to phytoplankton and zooplankton.


E1001D8F-4C4A-4218-A1F1-48E61B2ED594.jpeg
 
I've used carbon 24/7/365 since I started my first tank in the mid 1980's. Although you can just toss a bag in your sump someplace, for best results a reverse flow reactor (so that the water comes in from the bottom and pushes the carbon towards the top) will give you the best results.
 
Pretty much any time. Although I don't know if carbon will clear the reef roids... A small micron filter sock will take that out pretty quickly for sure
.
 
Not to take over but ....
If I have a refugium, will running carbon cause a negative effect on the fuge? My chaeto is dying anyway and I have never ran my carbon reactor on this tank yet. Same like TheSkrimp my tank is only 2 months old. Not enough nutrients maybe for the chaeto? Been dosing chaetogrow. Not helping at all.
 
Not to take over but ....
If I have a refugium, will running carbon cause a negative effect on the fuge? My chaeto is dying anyway and I have never ran my carbon reactor on this tank yet. Same like TheSkrimp my tank is only 2 months old. Not enough nutrients maybe for the chaeto? Been dosing chaetogrow. Not helping at all.
As far as I'm aware, carbon will not affect chaeto in any manner.
 
Carbon is used to absorb contaminants and such. It will not remove nitrate and phosphate. I run carbon periodically just to be sure (incase of air fresheners or the like building up in my tank). It will also remove any discolouration from the water.

You may be confusing activated carbon with carbon dosing which is a completely different thing and WILL lower nutrients?

PS. I run a refugium with cheato and have never had a problem running carbon.
 
Carbon is used to absorb contaminants and such. It will not remove nitrate and phosphate. I run carbon periodically just to be sure (incase of air fresheners or the like building up in my tank). It will also remove any discolouration from the water.

You may be confusing activated carbon with carbon dosing which is a completely different thing and WILL lower nutrients?

PS. I run a refugium with cheato and have never had a problem running carbon.
Aaaah ok got it- yes im Not gonna carbon dose -just planning to pack in my carbon into my torq reactor. My water is kind of meh- and I’ve got some stringy brown stuff growing. Not sure if the carbon reactor will help with that. I vacuum it with my fluval filter vacuum as much as I can.

5A3E5A1D-54BA-4046-8FD9-B821DC5807AD.jpeg
 
Aaaah ok got it- yes im Not gonna carbon dose -just planning to pack in my carbon into my torq reactor. My water is kind of meh- and I’ve got some stringy brown stuff growing. Not sure if the carbon reactor will help with that. I vacuum it with my fluval filter vacuum as much as I can.

5A3E5A1D-54BA-4046-8FD9-B821DC5807AD.jpeg
Yer, activated carbon may help with that depending what the cause is.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top