How the heck do Trochus snails survive in the wild?

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2018
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
924
Location
Overland Park KS
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys do a great job and are reproducing well but I swear I spend more time flipping snails over than feeding my fish. How are they too stupid to flip themselves over? It's not even like I have a bare bottom.
 
Ready for a fairly philosophical conversation about a snail;Hilarious

Well I think it comes down to what you identify as stupidity which I'm not sure is what I'd call this because most mollusk lack the intelligence needed to be stupid as far as I'm aware. Some may argue stupidity is the lack of intelligence but I think its better defined as a lack of intelligence where it is needed.

For instance these snails only exist because they have evolved well enough to survive the habitat they are naturally found in. Many living things are extremely successful because intelligence isn't needed to survive where they are from. On the opposite side of that you have humans whose "intelligence" is so misused it ends up wiping out surrounding species and our own. That includes taking living thing out of its natural environment and putting it in a situation it has never had to deal with before and when it perishes because it can't process things to our standard of intelligence we label it as dumb or stupid.

Whats actually happening (The most painfully simplified version) is Everything that exist only exist because it eats something and something else eats it. their evolution to survive threats takes energy from thousands if not millions of generations of their own kind, energy that would not be spent on something unless it was 100% necessary to survive. If they can't flip themselves over its because where they come from the amount of things that can nock them over is so insignificant that it makes more sense to lose a small portion of their population than to waste the precious energy they need to stay alive on changing something that doesn't help them survive in the only place that matters- the wild.

I think better arguments could be made for the lack of human intelligence in realizing this flaw, deciding to take them and put them in environments they could never prepare for or comprehend and then for generations of exchanging the same information deciding to put resources into continuing to do it instead of looking at better suited species that are capable of flipping themselves over in the wild and therefor more equipped to handle the strange environments we force them to exist in (Unless your snail signed the proper consent forms which would raise more questions than the number of snails in existence).

I really hope I don't come across as rude, I'm not trying to single you out or anything like that, just trying to raise a perspective I find many people don't consider.
It is strange isn't it? Yet, they do. I stopped flipping them and noticed they will be unflipped the next day if my melanarus wrasse doesn't get to them.
I was under the impression that trochus were a kind of snail that could flip themselves over, I could certainly be wrong though.
 
I was under the impression that trochus were a kind of snail that could flip themselves over, I could certainly be wrong though.

They are, but I feel bad when I see them trying to flip themselves over and it takes them a while sometimes. I just let nature do nature.
 
Ready for a fairly philosophical conversation about a snail;Hilarious

Well I think it comes down to what you identify as stupidity which I'm not sure is what I'd call this because most mollusk lack the intelligence needed to be stupid as far as I'm aware. Some may argue stupidity is the lack of intelligence but I think its better defined as a lack of intelligence where it is needed.

For instance these snails only exist because they have evolved well enough to survive the habitat they are naturally found in. Many living things are extremely successful because intelligence isn't needed to survive where they are from. On the opposite side of that you have humans whose "intelligence" is so misused it ends up wiping out surrounding species and our own. That includes taking living thing out of its natural environment and putting it in a situation it has never had to deal with before and when it perishes because it can't process things to our standard of intelligence we label it as dumb or stupid.

Whats actually happening (The most painfully simplified version) is Everything that exist only exist because it eats something and something else eats it. their evolution to survive threats takes energy from thousands if not millions of generations of their own kind, energy that would not be spent on something unless it was 100% necessary to survive. If they can't flip themselves over its because where they come from the amount of things that can nock them over is so insignificant that it makes more sense to lose a small portion of their population than to waste the precious energy they need to stay alive on changing something that doesn't help them survive in the only place that matters- the wild.

I think better arguments could be made for the lack of human intelligence in realizing this flaw, deciding to take them and put them in environments they could never prepare for or comprehend and then for generations of exchanging the same information deciding to put resources into continuing to do it instead of looking at better suited species that are capable of flipping themselves over in the wild and therefor more equipped to handle the strange environments we force them to exist in (Unless your snail signed the proper consent forms which would raise more questions than the number of snails in existence).

I really hope I don't come across as rude, I'm not trying to single you out or anything like that, just trying to raise a perspective I find many people don't consider.

I was under the impression that trochus were a kind of snail that could flip themselves over, I could certainly be wrong though.
That isn't a satisfying answer unfortunately. I suppose it's possible that in the wild they are able to stay on a single huge grouping of rocks. Perhaps they aren't good at navigating the change from rock to sand or something.

They are, but I feel bad when I see them trying to flip themselves over and it takes them a while sometimes. I just let nature do nature.
Maybe I'm rushing to the rescue too fast.
 
That isn't a satisfying answer unfortunately. I suppose it's possible that in the wild they are able to stay on a single huge grouping of rocks. Perhaps they aren't good at navigating the change from rock to sand or something.


Maybe I'm rushing to the rescue too fast.

Welp I tried;Hilarious

If you don't have anything that will mess with them when they flip you could certainly try leaving one upside down and see what happens.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top