How to advertise for a frag swap?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Messages
1,574
Reaction score
880
Location
Poland, Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to my local club and new to advertising. I was put on the board and in charge of advertising this swap so i need some advice. I know this community and forum is full of kind and knowledgeable people so im sure i will find the help i am looking for.

The swap is the C-Sea Cleveland Ohio Frag swap on October 22nd at the Berea Fair grounds. We have 2 speakers, Mark Levenson and the guys from Saltwater Smarts. I believe this club has been having this swap for more than a decade now.

Some of the questions I have are:

-What methods should i use to advertise? I know social media is a big one along with forums but does anyone do TV, Radio, Newspaper, Magazines, flyers, etc.. Anything i am missing? Trying to do TV news and radio as a human interest story.

-What is the most effective?

-If the swap is October 22nd, how far out should i start advertising? The word is already out but when should i hit it hard? Im thinking 6 weeks before is the way to go?

-what kind of radius should i advertise in? 100 mile? 200 mile? Nearest big cities?

-Then the biggest question is how do i get all the local fish stores involved? I would like to do some sort of a flyer that the fish store hands out at their store. The fish store would put on the flyer a coupon to use at their store the weekend of or after the swap. This would advertise the swap and also help out the fish store by advertising for them. We have a club member who thinks this is not a great idea because he thinks it will prevent some people from spending all their money at the swap. I disagree so i would really like your opinion here.

Any other advice would be great.

If this thread does not belong here then you can move it. Didnt know where else to put it. There should be a general sub category under frag swaps for this type of discussion.

Complete information about the swap and vendor sign up information can be found here:

http://c-sea.org/forums/threads/2016-c-sea-frag-swap.7721/

Thanks for all you help!
 
Thanks joe!

Anyone else? I would really like to hear how you get your local fish stores involved and i would really like to see some answers to my other questions. I really need some help here. I have a lot of weight on my shoulders.
 
I'm not sure of that but I've been wanting to go to a swap for a while and this one will be in my backyard!
 
Tell all your friends,
Lol
 
We advertise in local forums, regional forums, here, and get fliers to willing stores. Send out email blasts to members of your group. 6 weeks is a good time.
 
Thanks denise.

You said "willing stores". I take it that some stores are less likely to help you out? Do LFS frown on swaps? Because it takes business away from them?
 
No not really. Just some will not post like Petsmart and such. Against rules or something. Most are willing though. :)
 
Thanks denise.

Anyone else with experience on advertising? Any opinions? Please.
 
We have tried local newspaper, radio and tv, but they are not easy to get your word out if you do not have an insider. Just make sure to get in touch with them waaayyy ahead of time. They need months notice, not weeks.
 
I feel that the radius depends on how big your event is and what vendors you have coming. If you have a ton of well known vendors I feel people are more willing to travel further. I know that when our club is looking at frag swaps that we are considering doing a group trip to; we are looking to see if there is a bunch of stuff listed on fragswapper or reeftrader. If there is a ton of stuff that various members want to pick up or well known vendors that club members are familiar with their wares it creates more of a hype to go.

I just found your event on reeftrader. You should add the 6 vendors you have listed in your posted link to reeftrader as it isn't showing any currently and that is where most of the seasoned hobbyist is going to look, not on your club forums. I would also look at getting more vendors, it is probably too late in the game, but you can always try contacting them.

As far as getting local stores involved I think that it has to do with your relationship with that store. If the store supports your organization with discounts or something I would ask if you can post a flyer somewhere. Have you offered the local stores a vendor spot at your swap? Do you or someone in your club have a personal relationship with any store owners? I know that for our club I have a relationship with the owners of almost every store that sponsors us and one or two that don't. I would try and find a club member that knows the owner of your local stores and ask them to talk to the owner about promoting your swap. I know this past year at LEAR local stores handed our coupons for things like cheap clear shrimp or discount coupons to be used after the swap the swap.

Do you have a local city paper that lists upcoming events or things to do in the area? We have a city paper that lists all the different classes, concerts, art galleries, just any type of thing going on. If you do obviously contact them and get yours added.

You could blast all of the local club forums in a large radius like you did a couple months ago on all the related reef type forum sites out there. Although I know it is against the rules to advertise other clubs events in local club forums on some of the sites, so check first or PM a member on there and ask permission or for them to post it for you.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top