How to be sure if a coral is dead?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Swine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Swine

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2013
Messages
501
Reaction score
5
Location
San Jose
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received a dead coral and put it in my tank.. So long story short three fish died. Once that happened I did a water test and the nitrates were through the roof. A month before I had put the coral in nitrates were at 0. And were there for a long time. I stopped testing because they had been at 0 for 5 months. My phosphates are also a little high but I don't think that would have killed any fish, although maybe added stress.

How do I make sure the coral doesn't have any decaying matter so I can use it to glue frags to and make sure it wont leach anything into my tank? Bleach? Cycle in another tank? Set it on fire? Rain Dance?

Thanks!
 
So you're just wanting to use the skeleton?
 
I'm not sure if you mean dead coral on live rock or an old bleached coral. In any case, it sounds like it needs to come out of the tank asap to get things back in balance. Can you tell me more about the dead coral. Pics?


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.
 
So you're just wanting to use the skeleton?

Exactly. It appeared to be a skeleton when I got it. And was told it was.

I'm not sure if you mean dead coral on live rock or an old bleached coral. In any case, it sounds like it needs to come out of the tank asap to get things back in balance. Can you tell me more about the dead coral. Pics?


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

It is an old skeleton. And I wish to use it to grow zoas on. I have taken it out of my tank and now I am trying to get things back in balance. I just want to make sure I treat it correctly so I can put it back in my tank. I will try and get pictures of it tonight.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top