How to calculate water drainage into sump

Trevor203

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2017
Messages
63
Reaction score
10
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I Google this a couple times and I found it before but I forgot the book Market I'm trying to calculate how much water will drain out of the DT into the sump when the power is out I have a 84 x 24 x 24 ddtank my son is in 80 gallon frag tank I have 4 inches of extra room in the top was exactly 20 gallons and I know for every inch of water my DT tank goes down is 9 gallons so is that enough room
 
L x W x H will give you volume. Compare the water volume in the top to the space volume in the bottom.

Measure in inches and divide your result by 231 if you need it in gallons.

2¢
 
very easy... Turn off main pump power. fill display tank and let drain into sump until sump is full to the top and water is no longer draining into it. Turn on the power. The level in your sump at that point is your max fill line.
 
How far under the water do I need to put the return to make your quiet I know that for every inch on the display tank is 9 gallons in for every inch in the sump is 5 gallons so in theory I could lose 2 inches in the display tank and not have it overflow I just didn't know if I put the return only an inch under the water if it would be quiet or I would have to put it farther under and then put a siphon brake near the top of the water. I do not have my tank yet it's getting delivered in three weeks and I just place my baffles in the sump I want to make sure it will work. So I can drain 20 gallons out of the dt and that's almost 10%. I'm hoping this is good has anybody else seen the calculator you put in your measurements of your tank and it will tell you approximately how many gallons it will drain usually Google works pretty well but I can't find this again
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top