How to determine PAR drop off for height above water level

This is for a six inch deep zoa frag tank. Frags are about 3 inches below surface. Mounting height needs to be up high, so I am trying to work out the right intensity to get ~200. I have a request in for a PAR meter, but it is going to be a week or two before it arrives.
 
The Inverse Square Law is what you're looking for. I don't know how accurate this calculator is, but I imagine it can at least get you into the ballpark. Also note that your linked PAR estimator only includes up to G3 Pro.

 
Thank you!

I have a G3, so fingers crossed.

At 8" AWL with the light at 100% the calculator suggests 968 PAR for 3" depth. Using that inverse square calculator the value for 20' high is 154.88. That seems really low, but I guess that is a lot of air for the light to dissipate through.
 
Hi all,

There is a nifty radion calculator here: https://www.aquaticlog.com/radion

Unfortunately though that is calculated for 8" above water level, and my lights are 20" above the water level.

Is there a mathematical formular that I can use?

Thanks in advance
The inverse sq law doesn' t work well for tanks due to refraction and reflection.
Secondly if the light doesn't get into the tank all is just lost regardless.
Gen 3's had a choice of lenses. Assuming you have the " normal" lens at 80 degrees your spot size is 33.5".
So you can figure out the water surface pattern and if a lot of light is lost.
Easier to just see the light output at 2O" on a large piece of paper with the tank outline drawn in it . Any light outside is wasted inverse sq law or not.

Ideally one wants 1OO% on the water surface.
In your case mire like at the frag level.
So what. 29" plus 3" to frag level?
@ 23" spot size is almost 40".

If you look closely at the radion calculator you'll see it doesn' t adhere to the unverse sq rule
2x the distance 1/4 the power.
At 8+1 (9 inches ) 1271 par
At 8 +10 (18 inches or 2x9) 684
1/2 the par not 1/4.....
At 8 + 28" (36 or 2 x 18) 198 par. Though now 3.4 less 684/198.
Point is the inv sq doesn't work well.

Might as well just reverse the calculator assuming you aren' t spilling a ton of light outside the tank.

Try 485... So globally dim to say 50% all channels on full though.

As good of guess as any..
par-jpg.300002
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top