How to Frag Zoas W/O Power Tools

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
77
Location
San Jose
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I've mostly only found videos on how to frag zoas off of a disk with a power tool such as a dremel or band saw. The other ones I found are fragging pieces off of a rock, which is not the same as from a disk (which is where most of us are fragging).

I've decided to show how I frag my zoas off a disk. Hope it helps, enjoy!

[video=youtube;Y-KGAH93qys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KGAH93qys&feature=plcp[/video]

PS: Using something chisel like works, doesn't have to be the same one I use.
 
great video. i have used the method a bunch with success . I have also just scraped the polyp off the plug with very little of the frag plug attached but it takes a LOT longer to heal and start growing. The way you do it is the best good job shooting the video!!
 
I was amazed by the amount of lugols you used. Makes me rethink my cautiousness when using lugols.

Nice vid and thanks for sharing! Remember to work on your finger curling for the next one :wink:
 
Thanks for all the comments guys. :)

@Pkunk35, you can use less Lugols, but it's just out of habit that I use that light tea color because that's the amount I use when I dip for pests. I'm sure just a little bit will also work, as that's what I used to do too!
 
I was amazed by the amount of lugols you used. Makes me rethink my cautiousness when using lugols.

Nice vid and thanks for sharing! Remember to work on your finger curling for the next one :wink:

+1.

I don't even use anything. I feel it just causes even more stress. When watching your video, I realized just how simple my steps are. Out of 100 frags I lose about 3-4 zoa's.
My steps are:
1. Take out fragging supplies : Eye protection, IC gel Glue, SPS coral (bone) cutters, my acrylic platform, paper towel, frag plugs, 2 cups of tank water and most importantly a fresh blade on my scalpal.
2. Put about 5-10 ceramic frag plugs in 1 of the cups of tank water so the air gets out and doesn't cause bubbles when it is put in the tank.
3. Look around the frag and find the best place to cut. Then I slice the polyp (I try to get a .01mm thin slice of frag disk that the polyp is growing on), if I can't I just cut the most mature looking polyp.
4. Take out 1 ceramic plug, dry the top of it with the paper towel.
5. Add a drop of IC gel glue on the frag plug
6. Drop the coral on the spot of glue and let it sit for 20 seconds. Then I take the frag plug and dip it 4-5 times in the other cup of water.
7. Place back in my tank in low flow.
8. After a few hours to a few days, I make sure the polyp is secure, if not I add more glue. Then I move the frag to its holding place and walahhh. Im done.
 
Last edited:
I also use this method....great video..thanks for sharing.
 
Thanks again guys. :)

@Poland, well if your method works no need to try a new one right? Sounds like your method has been working very well for you.

Here's the rastas I cut in the vid, which was last night. They're looking good!

rasta.jpg
 
Great video, thanks for taking the time. It's always great to see others at work so any bad habits we have can be corrected when someone else's method shows better habits.
 
The best part about this method is it becomes easier and easier to frag as the generations progress.... The first generation frag generally has a large chunk of rock as visible in buddys video. The second generation will be pure polyps on the disc with a small blob of glue in the center.

So when you frag the grown out 2nd gen disc if you used ceramic discs you can simply start by easily popping the tiny bit of glue up and then working outwards sliding underneath the mat of the polyps with a wood chisel. When you are done you will be left with a mat of pure zoa flesh seperated cleanly from the disc. Then go through and take dollar store toe-nail scissors and divide up the zoa mat. Really really amazing results using this method. The toe nail scissors give a very clean single pass cut that doesnt crush the zoa flesh and heals very fast.

I don't think the iodine dip is 100% necessary anymore. The best rule to follow is to never frag ANYTHING if there are any signs of stress/disease in any of your tank. If everything is thriving and looking good frag away and you wont need dips. Even if you end up totally mangling a frag if your zoas are doing well they will almost always recover.
 
Last edited:
people use power tools on zoas? o.O I usually scrape them off carefully with a razor. works out great
 
diamond band saw is pretty much the only power tool ive heard of people using. I have one and I barely turn it on tbh. About the only time its useful is for fragging zoas that are on extremely hard rock or microzoas that are so tiny that you have no choice but to frag chunks of rock.

Wait until you have one of those razor blade snap when fragging a protopaly and see how fast you look for an alternative lol. Seriously.... snapping blades is probably the most dangerous thing you can have when fragging. They simply do not have the strength to "dig down" into the disc and go under the mat. These wood chisels will not snap and cost about 30 cents each. I use them and throw them away as soon as they start to dull. I could sharpen them but who cares when they are so cheap.

edit: forgot about dremel... lots of people use these.... they make a huge freggin mess IMO. who wants to be sprayed with bits of stuff while working.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top