How to get a coral off a frag plug without harming it

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2021
Messages
3,333
Reaction score
2,712
Location
vancouver BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a palm sized Starburst monti (beautiful piece) but the issue is its on a frag plug. Normally id just rip it off but it's kind of encrusted the frag plug a bit and I'm afraid to break it. How would I go about taking the plug off while keeping the coral fairly in tact?

16693514310593764654191816025817.jpg
 
Often you can use screwdriver or similar and pry it off at glue in that scenario as I doubt the actual monti is attached to the plug, but of course you risk ending up having several smaller montis if it goes wrong lol.

Other option if it meets your needs is bone cutters to snip the stem off the plug rather than removing the coral from plug entirely
 
1. Are you able to remove the entire coral+frag plug out of the tank?

2. if yes, it makes removing the coral alot easier. [a] Get a bone cutter if you have one and careful snap at the point where the coral makes contact with the frag plug.

3. If no, is it possible to remove the rock in which the coral is attached to? If yes, get a bone cutter and follow [a].

4. If the answer to both 2 and 3 is no, you gotta take your bone cutter scuba diving and do [a] under water.

The key here is you need a bone cutter/diagonal cutters.
 
My Pearlberry Acro was like this when I got it. All I did was take the bottom of the plug off and then stick it to a rock. It still grows rather fast for me and is the fastest grower out of most of my acros. If you do break some of the coral like I ended up doing, you’ll find that under the perfect conditions your monti will go from looking broken to having no signs of a broken piece in a few weeks. My coral in my SPS tank show weekly growth. Even some that are supposedly slow growing (For example, Millepora) show the fast growth.
 
1. Are you able to remove the entire coral+frag plug out of the tank?

2. if yes, it makes removing the coral alot easier. [a] Get a bone cutter if you have one and careful snap at the point where the coral makes contact with the frag plug.

3. If no, is it possible to remove the rock in which the coral is attached to? If yes, get a bone cutter and follow [a].

4. If the answer to both 2 and 3 is no, you gotta take your bone cutter scuba diving and do [a] under water.

The key here is you need a bone cutter/diagonal cutters.
I am able to take it out but issue is that I don't have bone cutters. Anything else I can use? I got floral equipment
 
I am able to take it out but issue is that I don't have bone cutters. Anything else I can use? I got floral equipment
I use a saw to get rid of the plug.
 
I am able to take it out but issue is that I don't have bone cutters. Anything else I can use? I got floral equipment
Could you share a pic of what you have in mind? Cause something along the line of a diagonal cutter/plier may work as well (pretty sure u can get them easily from a diy/hardware store).
 
I am able to take it out but issue is that I don't have bone cutters. Anything else I can use? I got floral equipment
I use a pair of diagonal cutters.
 
Dremel with a diamond blade works great. Easier on the coral too. I’ve had a few situations when I used the bone cutters and the jarring snipping of the bone cutters wound up fracturing the coral.
 
Could you share a pic of what you have in mind? Cause something along the line of a diagonal cutter/plier may work as well (pretty sure u can get them easily from a diy/hardware store).
Its kind of like a shear except handheld
 
Its kind of like a shear except handheld
I have used a dedicated shear to frag sps and I must say, it does not do a good job. It will most likely cause your entire monti to fracture as opposed to a bone cutter or a diagonal cutter. I’d advise that the next time you go to a diy/hardware store/order online, get one of these.
 

Attachments

  • C3DE1DF3-0E33-4CEA-BA73-AFA316A6942F.jpeg
    C3DE1DF3-0E33-4CEA-BA73-AFA316A6942F.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 31

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top