How to get rid of Asterina Starfish

Imo harlequins are terrible. For this.. They only eat live starfish.. They will eat a very small Portion of each star leaving the rest to. Decay.. And feed the problem of overpopulation.. If and when they do manage to Eliminate the populous.. What do they eat then? I'm not saying they don't work.. Just stating problems with this solution
 
Asterina Starfish

I have a ton in my system, they don't bother anything as far as i can tell. All i see them do is help keep the glass clean. I rescue them during WC and maint.
 
Had them in my system for years. Never once been a problem and i have 100s. No harm,no damage, no fuss. Just helping to clean my glass and my DT is LOADED with corals. I don't know what all the hype is about. If these critters were going to be a problem EVER, i'd have noticed it a long time ago.
 
Had them in my system for years. Never once been a problem and i have 100s. No harm,no damage, no fuss. Just helping to clean my glass and my DT is LOADED with corals. I don't know what all the hype is about. If these critters were going to be a problem EVER, i'd have noticed it a long time ago.

I dont know as if they are really a problem, for me I had to many and I didnt like the fact my glass had them all over it. I had 1000's in my system and I dont think they bring anything positive to the tank and I have always wanted a pair of harlequins so I thought boom, heres my chance :)
 
Asterina Stars

I dont know as if they are really a problem, for me I had to many and I didnt like the fact my glass had them all over it. I had 1000's in my system and I dont think they bring anything positive to the tank and I have always wanted a pair of harlequins so I thought boom, heres my chance :)

Chocolate Chip starfish are not cheap and not always avail. Just remember that when you buy those Harlequins and they quickly run out of those tiny Asterina snacks, that's what you're going to have to feed the Harlequins. You'll be responsible for the lives of those shrimp once you get them so think twice on removing what you think is a pest but in reality, is not. :angel:
 
Chocolate Chip starfish are not cheap and not always avail. Just remember that when you buy those Harlequins and they quickly run out of those tiny Asterina snacks, that's what you're going to have to feed the Harlequins. You'll be responsible for the lives of those shrimp once you get them so think twice on removing what you think is a pest but in reality, is not. :angel:

Im not sure they have the ability to eat them faster then they can reproduce. If that happens I will just trade them in to my LFS. Not a big deal.
 
Chocolate Chip starfish are not cheap and not always avail. Just remember that when you buy those Harlequins and they quickly run out of those tiny Asterina snacks, that's what you're going to have to feed the Harlequins. You'll be responsible for the lives of those shrimp once you get them so think twice on removing what you think is a pest but in reality, is not. :angel:

Agreed.
 
Chocolate Chip starfish are not cheap and not always avail. Just remember that when you buy those Harlequins and they quickly run out of those tiny Asterina snacks, that's what you're going to have to feed the Harlequins. You'll be responsible for the lives of those shrimp once you get them so think twice on removing what you think is a pest but in reality, is not. :angel:
Got butter?
 
We have a pair of harlequin shrimp that appear to be too involved in mating rituals to address the Asterina issue for which they were purchased.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427758474.595077.jpg
 
Bumblebee shrimp will eat them as they are a different type of harlequin shrimp. The advantage is that they don't have an exclusive diet to starfish. You don't have to feed them starfish after they rid your tank.

Other than starfish what do bumblebee shrimp eat? Just curious as I got one yesterday. It was a hitchhiker on a piece of coral.
 
Other than starfish what do bumblebee shrimp eat? Just curious as I got one yesterday. It was a hitchhiker on a piece of coral.
I'm not exactly sure what else they will eat.

You lucky dog! I have been trying to find one for a long time.
 
Yeah it just so happen I spotted him on a coral that came into our store and my manager was cool enough to let me take it home.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top