How to have ultimate ammonia control in QT?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
12,222
Reaction score
23,039
Location
Miami Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does tank size matter or amount of surface area?

For example, if I can fit TWO HOB filters with sponge in a 10 gallon tank

Or I just use ONE HOB in a 20 gallon tank with sponge. Which would preform better?

Does more surface area have better ammonia control or more water dilution?
 
More surface area for bacteria the better. A biosponge with bottled bacteria should work well. The fact that people get ammonia issues in QT astounds me given all you need is bacterial bottles and some biosponges.

I would however use a filter pad before the biosponge to keep the biosponge clean. Rinsing the filter pad daily keeps the QT much cleaner.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top