How to make a Freshwater tank into Salt?

ScottyD36

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2020
Messages
575
Reaction score
281
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a couple tanks that I put away that were freshwater And I want to see if I can convert them into saltwater tank. I currently have a 13.5 all in one Evo that is running but wanted to try my hand at a second bigger tank. What are some things I need to turn just a normal glass tank into a saltwater tank. What kind of filtration should I use and so on so forth.
 
So I have a couple tanks that I put away that were freshwater And I want to see if I can convert them into saltwater tank. I currently have a 13.5 all in one Evo that is running but wanted to try my hand at a second bigger tank. What are some things I need to turn just a normal glass tank into a saltwater tank. What kind of filtration should I use and so on so forth.
You are going to get a lot of responses naming a bunch of unnecessary equip. Ignore all that especially when just starting out. There are very few things you need to run a successful reef. I ran the tank pictured below for a few years with just the following:

Powerhead
Lights
Heater
Fans
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Buckets for water changes
Water conditioner if you are not using RODI.
**Read your city's water report to figure out if you need an RODI system. The majority of tanks do not need one. Especially when you are just starting out. I have never run one and do 30% monthly water changes with tap.

When starting out I constantly browsed craigslist and local aquarium forums for good deals on live rock to avoid the whole cycling process. Can usually get it for $1 or $2 per pound. Sometimes free.

Also join a local aquarium club so you get your first few easy to keep coral frags for free or heavily discounted.

To set up a 55G tank you can be all in for less than $700. Then if you are really into it start looking into sump, skimmer, reactors, dosing equip, controllers, etc. That's where people waste the big $$ but it does make life a little easier.
 

Attachments

  • full tank shot.png
    full tank shot.png
    827.8 KB · Views: 57
You are going to get a lot of responses naming a bunch of unnecessary equip. Ignore all that especially when just starting out. There are very few things you need to run a successful reef. I ran the tank pictured below for a few years with just the following:

Powerhead
Lights
Heater
Fans
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Buckets for water changes
Water conditioner if you are not using RODI.
**Read your city's water report to figure out if you need an RODI system. The majority of tanks do not need one. Especially when you are just starting out. I have never run one and do 30% monthly water changes with tap.

When starting out I constantly browsed craigslist and local aquarium forums for good deals on live rock to avoid the whole cycling process. Can usually get it for $1 or $2 per pound. Sometimes free.

Also join a local aquarium club so you get your first few easy to keep coral frags for free or heavily discounted.

To set up a 55G tank you can be all in for less than $700. Then if you are really into it start looking into sump, skimmer, reactors, dosing equip, controllers, etc. That's where people waste the big $$ but it does make life a little easier.

+1

I would either get the RODI though or use your stores water.

If its your FIRST Tank just start SMALL and SLOW if you don't want to go "all out" and buy a bunch of equipment.

Just posted on another thread and the guys set up was BARE BONES and I loved it.

This is really all you need for a basic set up.

@kingPumpkin

HEre's his tank

IMG-4997.jpg


When you start going psycho over SPS and crazy $500 corals, by then you'll figure out for yourself what you need.
 
Research . Research . Research . Rodi setup is something you should definatley start off with . With a smaller tank it's definatley more engaging but having a plan beforehand leads to success in this hobby . If you're googling stuff while you're in the lfs , probably not good .
 
I am sorry, I had too.

There are a lot of concepts from fresh that translate to salt. I think one of the biggest for me first was to make sure any equipment you use from fresh can handle salt. The tank just needs to be cleaned. Heaters usually are ok also, just double check online. You will need different filtration media. You can probably use the same HOB or other pumps you had, but different media. And lights will change.

Like mentioned, it does not need to be expensive, just shop pre-owned.
 
If you're googling stuff while you're in the lfs , probably not good .

But don't NOT google when you're in the LFS.

I always google every time I go, there's always at least 1 new fish or 1 new coral species to learn about :).

Doesn't mean google then buy, but nice to always learn more :P
 
But don't NOT google when you're in the LFS.

I always google every time I go, there's always at least 1 new fish or 1 new coral species to learn about :).

Doesn't mean google then buy, but nice to always learn more :p

We are on the same wavelength tonight it seems.

Great advice. I still google while I am in a store. Don’t insult the owner and say you can get it cheaper down the street or they are wrong about something, but I have looked up fish I have known for 20 years to research a fact that may be specific to a situation you have not encountered before.

Plus if it,is a reputable store and honest, they are there to educate and sell at an honest price.
 
10+ years ago when I got out of the hobby (just getting back in) I was warned not to use a tank that was used for freshwater because the medications could be leached back into the saltwater. Not sure if this is a real issue or not.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top