How to manually dose home-made soda ash for Alkalinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cheeze
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Cheeze

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2021
Messages
193
Reaction score
174
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm looking to raise my alkalinity as it's below what it should be. I made a batch of soda ash by baking some grocery store baking soda on a cookie sheet. An online calculator told me I need about 4 oz. to raise my Alk to the level I want...but now I'm unsure how to get this ash into my system.

My tank is a 38 gallon AIO, no corals just yet but I do have 1 fish and a few CUC inhabitants. I was going to mix the ash within 5 gallons RODI and salt when doing my next water change. Or is it better to mix it in a small quart container of RODI and add it into the last output chamber in my tank? Or is this too much to add at once?

Thanks in advance!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top