How to raise water level in Display Tank?

No. The overflow would still be above the waterline. Just not as far above as it is now.

I wish I could but I have a canopy that prevents me from coming over the back of the tank.

It's easy to cut a canopy and in this case, it's a far better idea to do so. The system can work how it is but the peace of mind from a Herbie is 100% worth the effort here (and it's silent as well). You'll regret not doing it, I promise you.
 
I raised the durso by about 2 inches. The water has less distance to fall now. I also made the hole in it bigger.
The noise I get (got) was from the water falling in the overflow and/or the flushing if I ran the return pump at high volume.
I had my pump on 30% power giving me a about 430gph through the return pipe according to neptune flow monitor kit.
With me raising the durso, I have turned the pump up to 50% which is about 670gph. That is better than the 430gph I was getting before. The water level raised slightly and the ClariSea filter roller is not getting overwhelmed.
I put very coarse filter sponge inside the weir to stop the waterfall noise.

So far, so good.
 
Last edited:
Can I add a 1/2 inch or 1/3 inch pipe to the tank to create a Herbie? I might have enough room for that.
The existing drain pipe is 1.5 inch.

20200210_083836.jpg
 
Can you bring your return plumbing over the top of tank?
 
It looks like a double wall overflow box. This is common and the blocking the bottom teeth will have no effect. The idea behind the bottom teeth is to pickup water from below. A bad idea IMO as it is not necessary, but Aqueon's overflow has the same design, perhaps Marineland too.

Obviously the quick solution was setting the Durso higher. That is why they are adjustable. I would run a Herbie with the return over the rim. You mentioned the canopy won't allow for it, but that is what hole saws are for. ;)

I run a Herbie through my Clarisea filter roller with no problems. The air gets purged out by the siphon every time.
 
Can I add a 1/2 inch or 1/3 inch pipe to the tank to create a Herbie? I might have enough room for that.
The existing drain pipe is 1.5 inch.

20200210_083836.jpg
AquaVim makes an internal return pipe inside an overflow drain. If you're hell bent on not going over the rim with the return. I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense, nor would I drill that tank. Too risky and you would need to know if the bottom pane is tempered.

1581948408830.png

1581948441649.png
 
It looks like a double wall overflow box. This is common and the blocking the bottom teeth will have no effect. The idea behind the bottom teeth is to pickup water from below. A bad idea IMO as it is not necessary, but Aqueon's overflow has the same design, perhaps Marineland too.

Obviously the quick solution was setting the Durso higher. That is why they are adjustable. I would run a Herbie with the return over the rim. You mentioned the canopy won't allow for it, but that is what hole saws are for. ;)

I run a Herbie through my Clarisea filter roller with no problems. The air gets purged out by the siphon every time.

I have two holes in my canopy that I "could" use to run pipe up and over but that makes moving the canopy impossible.
I will need to move the canopy from time to time for tank maintenance.

I would think the bottom glass is not tempered since it has been drilled already.
 
I have two holes in my canopy that I "could" use to run pipe up and over but that makes moving the canopy impossible.
I will need to move the canopy from time to time for tank maintenance.

I would think the bottom glass is not tempered since it has been drilled already.
They tamper after they drill the holes
I would just cut slots out of the canopy where the return pipe lays this way u can lift up the canopy
 
^ This. I'd be shocked if the bottom isn't tempered. Cut a slot or use a union. If it's not hard plumbed you can use a Colder Quick Disconnect.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top