How will I know when my tank is done cycling?

Do you test the water?
What size tank? What's in it?
When did you start?
And what do you plan on putting in it?
 
I haven't started the tank I am doing it this weekend. Just curious what to look for. It's a 55G tank and it will have crushed shell as the substrate and rock in it. It's not live rock to start out with but dried coral rock.
 
You test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will see ammonia appear first and as it falls its converted to nitrite. The nitrite will rise and become nitrate. When the ammonia is undetectable and the nitrite and nitrate are declining then the cycle is complete enough to start stocking slowly.

If your levels are extremely high such as nitrate greater than 40ppm then you need to wait. What I'm saying above is if your nitrate spiked to around 10ppm and falls to 8ppm then you should be good to stock SLOWLY.
 
You test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will see ammonia appear first and as it falls its converted to nitrite. The nitrite will rise and become nitrate. When the ammonia is undetectable and the nitrite and nitrate are declining then the cycle is complete enough to start stocking slowly.

If your levels are extremely high such as nitrate greater than 40ppm then you need to wait. What I'm saying above is if your nitrate spiked to around 10ppm and falls to 8ppm then you should be good to stock SLOWLY.

Great advice.
Consider doing a large water change after ammonia and nitrites hold steady at 0 for a few days but before adding livestock.
You will also have to introduce an ammonia source, you can buy pure ammonia and add it, but I recommend just adding a table shrimp in a net and sit it in the water. Most people will say to take the shrimp out when the ammonia is down, but I leave it in until I'm ready to stock. It means my cycle has continually been...well....cycling and there's no chance of the healthy bacteria dying off. It may lead to a larger initial nitrate spike, but that's why I recommend that first water change :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top