Humming on brand new Vectra M2

The sound I hear from my Vectra is a very similar whirring sound, not sure if yours is louder though from the clips. Is the sound irritating to you?

At the moment I can hear my Sicce pump buzzing away, I am sitting about 15 feet away from these so called "dead silent" pumps.
 
The sound I hear from my Vectra is a very similar whirring sound, not sure if yours is louder though from the clips. Is the sound irritating to you?

At the moment I can hear my Sicce pump buzzing away, I am sitting about 15 feet away from these so called "dead silent" pumps.

No it is not lauder than the clips. It is not irritating me. But I guess from reading on the forums that they said their pump is “dead silent”, it gives me false expectation. I was literally expecting dead silent like dead and you can’t hear anything at all nada. This is not dead silent.
 
I have an M1 and I always thought was loud. I swapped it out with a Cor20; the Cor20 sounds different but is not silent. I setup a smaller tank and run the M1 at half speed and it is dead silent.
Both pumps are sensitive to head pressure; noise changed with plumbing. I found reduced head pressure made the whining less prominent.
I suspect an L2 run at M2 output will be better.
 
No pump is "dead silent", let alone silent.

I have a Red Dragon Speedy 50W, it is not "dead silent", it is very quiet though, I can barely hear it from 3 feet away through the cabinet doors. I mean I can hear it but barely, this means it makes some noise, I can hear it with my head in the cabinet though but even then it is quiet. They are expensive though.

My Vectra is next to my dining table, 6 feet away sitting at the table working on a laptop I can hear it, it is rather quiet though. This was before I added a Sicce pump for the chiller, I cannot hear the pump over the rather noisy little Sicce pump.

I do not know why people over exaggerate noise claims or equipment claims, people are extremely tribal over the products they purchase.
 
The issue is that people over exaggerate and claim that their pump is dead silent. By definition “dead silent” is you cannot hear a thing. Not a beep. When new people come into the scene and after reading reviews, new people like myself who never buy high end pumps come with expectation that just like the other have said that these pumps should be “dead silent”.

I was in a hobby 3 years ago. My tank was IM Nuvo 40 with stock pump. Yes it was humming and whirring. But, it was a stock pump. Now Vectra pumps cost 10x or more than IM stock pumps I can safely say, and plus people who owns or have owned them said “dead silent”. That’s why people like myself for an example have expectations. Hope that helps.
 
I fully agree, even saying a very expensive Red Dragon is dead silent is exaggerating, run it external and it will make more noise then under water. This may upset someone who has spent a lot of money on a supposed "dead silent" pump.

I bought my Red Dragon to replace an Eheim Compact 5000, those things are loud with a low frequency hum, this to me being outside my bedroom was very annoying at night.
 
Have experienced the same. It’s strange that these threads and posts aren’t more common? Running the pump at anywhere near 50% would be enough to drive me insane with the noise it makes. It’s at 30% now and can hear it in other rooms.

Have re-plumbed with a return to sump and tried a replacement pump. Was hoping for a quiet tank but for now sounds like I’m running a pool pump in my living room. Have a 1/2 inch return at tank which seems to be the issue. Really disappointed.
 
My M1 just died and I replaced it with an M2. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be this way or not, but my m1 was as silent as it got. I could only hear it if I stuck my head under the tank. I just hooked up the m2 and it sounds like it’s about to launch into space. It’s significantly louder than my m1 was. I’m hoping nothing is wrong with it.
 
Just installed by M2 about 2 weeks ago, it was silent until now. Came downstairs this morning and I hear a distinct low hum that wasnt there before....uggg. I had a red dragon 3 that died on me after 5 years of running silent but I cant afford another $900 pump now..
 
Dead silent to some is a slight hum to others. There is no such thing as a perfectly silent pump - they just do not exist. There are people who complain about ehiems and Red Dragons which do make noise if it is quiet enough around them, but they are as quiet as they get.
 
Dead silent to some is a slight hum to others. There is no such thing as a perfectly silent pump - they just do not exist. There are people who complain about ehiems and Red Dragons which do make noise if it is quiet enough around them, but they are as quiet as they get.
I get it but I found it weird that I noticed it only this morning after the pump has been running for 2 weeks. Something must of happened.
 
My ears already used to it, and I don’t notice it anymore. Maybe it is still there, but I gave up looking for that dead silent perfection.
 
My ears already used to it, and I don’t notice it anymore. Maybe it is still there, but I gave up looking for that dead silent perfection.
Ya. I assume mine will get used to it soon.
 
My S2 is silent. Is something touching the foot of the pump? Maybe if you’re hard plumbed the pvc is vibrating? I’m assuming you’ve messed with it to see if it’ll stop.
 
I upgraded from S2 running at 100% to a M2 running at 50%. Same flexible hose and UV light. Flow is better, but there is definitely a humming. Noise goes away when I dial down to 10%.
 
Just upgraded to an S2 from a Jebao DCP. This thing definitely has a noticable hum...very similar to an Ehiem AC pump. My Jebao was dead silent but wouldn't keep my overflow level.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top