Hydrogen Peroxide and Aiptasia Anemones ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter j.falk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2018
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
1,589
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Has anyone ever tried spot treating aiptasia anemones with hydrogen peroxide? If so, did it kill them off?
 
I had one on a frag plug. I removed the frag, scraped off the aiptasia. I then used a q-tip and peroxide to swab the plug. A whole lot of goop came off the plug. It might work
 
Be careful using it near corals or creatures, I really upset a tuxedo urchin that was about 2 inches away, it instantly dropped everything as it retracted it's tubes.
I used 1 ml of 9%, it dissolves them but I haven't tried it again, so much gunk was released I'm not sure if I made things worse or not.
 
Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I have a bunch of small ones on some larger rocks that I need to kill off. Joe's Juice didn't work so I'm looking for an alternate solution.
 
You would think so but I've pulled a rock out and sprayed the rock down with pure 3% peroxide for algae and aiptasia and a couple hours after putting the rock back in, I saw an aiptasia or two poke their ugly heads out so for me, no it did not kill the aiptasia.
 
You would think so but I've pulled a rock out and sprayed the rock down with pure 3% peroxide for algae and aiptasia and a couple hours after putting the rock back in, I saw an aiptasia or two poke their ugly heads out so for me, no it did not kill the aiptasia.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was considering trying. Appreciate your insight!
 
they are not peroxide sensitive among applications in pattern agreed.
 
they are not peroxide sensitive among applications in pattern agreed.

This means peroxide will not kill them? I’ve tried using it directly on them (out of tank) and I didn’t think peroxide did much
 
This means peroxide will not kill them? I’ve tried using it directly on them (out of tank) and I didn’t think peroxide did much
I swear those things will survive a nuclear holocaust. Best results I've ever had were with berghia nudibranchs.
 
I swear those things will survive a nuclear holocaust. Best results I've ever had were with berghia nudibranchs.

Berghia generally affordable or do they run pretty high?
 
Berghia generally affordable or do they run pretty high?
I think "affordable" is a relative term. They usually go for around $10 each IME. I found a package deal that included shipping a while back and jumped on it.
 
I think "affordable" is a relative term. They usually go for around $10 each IME. I found a package deal that included shipping a while back and jumped on it.
Wow thank a great deal. The only lfs that carries them near me charges $25 for general customers. I get them for $20 each because I am a long time customer. The down side is they are only 1/8"-1/4" long. So tiny. I have looked on reeftown.com and he sells them for $15 for small $20 for medium, $25 for large, and $27 for XL. The problem is the $45 shipping on top of that. I am shooting from memory on the prices, but that is the range anyway. I wish I could find them for $10 each near me. I thought about setting up a breeding operation and selling them locally, I got the tank and stuff just haven't gotten it off the ground.
 
Wow thank a great deal. The only lfs that carries them near me charges $25 for general customers. I get them for $20 each because I am a long time customer. The down side is they are only 1/8"-1/4" long. So tiny. I have looked on reeftown.com and he sells them for $15 for small $20 for medium, $25 for large, and $27 for XL. The problem is the $45 shipping on top of that. I am shooting from memory on the prices, but that is the range anyway. I wish I could find them for $10 each near me. I thought about setting up a breeding operation and selling them locally, I got the tank and stuff just haven't gotten it off the ground.
The biggest obstacle to establishing a breeding population is probably going to be maintaining a healthy supply of aiptasia for the nudibranchs to eat. I was able to breed mine by sticking a clump of aiptasia-infested macro into a jar with an airstone; two weeks after I added three nudibranchs, the jar was crawling with them. I couldn't, however, cultivate aiptasia fast enough, and they all eventually ran out of food.
 
The biggest obstacle to establishing a breeding population is probably going to be maintaining a healthy supply of aiptasia for the nudibranchs to eat. I was able to breed mine by sticking a clump of aiptasia-infested macro into a jar with an airstone; two weeks after I added three nudibranchs, the jar was crawling with them. I couldn't, however, cultivate aiptasia fast enough, and they all eventually ran out of food.
That was another thing. So i have some local friends and I thought about getting rocks from there tanks to keep supplying aprasia. I also was going to smash some of the aptasia in hopes of them releasing spores and reproduce faster. I know it can be done. Just need to work out all the specifics.
 
I turned off all the blues and did my best at getting some better images. I actually see two on there through these pictures. This side of the frag is the only side with the Skelton exposed. Would cutting back the frag a little bit to remove that skeleton or a small part of the entire frag to remove that entire side of the frag then add some glue on the exposed Skeleton after the cut be an option?

IMG_0908.jpeg IMG_0906.jpeg IMG_0905.jpeg IMG_0902.jpeg IMG_0903.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top