I’m going to cry. My bulk head leaking

Areeflover

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2018
Messages
627
Reaction score
224
Location
Destin, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys so I was messing with my sump and looks the pic to understand I turned that left pipe away from the connection to the sump to do something now the bulk head is leaking. If water got under the gasket could that cause a leak?

image.jpg
 
Turning the pipe probably unscrewed the bulkhead a little. I would try to tighten the bulkhead, but unfortunately that’s a task that’s usually easier said than done.
 
Turning the pipe probably unscrewed the bulkhead a little. I would try to tighten the bulkhead, but unfortunately that’s a task that’s usually easier said than done.
I think there was some debris in the over flow section and may have got under the gasket. Now that I think about it I’ll have to clean tomorrow
 
I think there was some debris in the over flow section and may have got under the gasket. Now that I think about it I’ll have to clean tomorrow

I don’t think that’s too likely unless the bulkhead got really loose. The gasket is normally pressed tightly between the glass and the bulkhead and there’s no room for anything to get under it. Water can squeeze through tiny little passages... much smaller than a piece of sand or gunk could. So if it got loosened just a small amount then water could squeeze through but there still wouldn’t be much of a space for anything to get under the gasket.

If you haven’t tried tightening the gasket yet I would try to give it a half a turn or so. That’s probably all it needs
 
I don’t think that’s too likely unless the bulkhead got really loose. The gasket is normally pressed tightly between the glass and the bulkhead and there’s no room for anything to get under it. Water can squeeze through tiny little passages... much smaller than a piece of sand or gunk could. So if it got loosened just a small amount then water could squeeze through but there still wouldn’t be much of a space for anything to get under the gasket.

If you haven’t tried tightening the gasket yet I would try to give it a half a turn or so. That’s probably all it needs
Sadly it was loosened all the way at one point
 
hi,pull your upper tubes,let drain into sump,loosen loose bulkhead clean and put back,should only take a few minutes,use something to catch water underneath ,try not to disturb bulk #2 :)
 
If it leaks all the time it’s the bulkhead seal if I leaks only when water is flowing you could have cracked the glue that attaches the pipe to the bulkhead or the fitting screwed into the bulkhead is leaking. If I were you I’d avoid turning pipes at all costs in the future as a quick little tweak can really jeopardize a hole system. I would like to say that all problems have solutions and if you can figure out exactly where it’s leaking you can fix this!
 
If it leaks all the time it’s the bulkhead seal if I leaks only when water is flowing you could have cracked the glue that attaches the pipe to the bulkhead or the fitting screwed into the bulkhead is leaking. If I were you I’d avoid turning pipes at all costs in the future as a quick little tweak can really jeopardize a hole system. I would like to say that all problems have solutions and if you can figure out exactly where it’s leaking you can fix this!
Thanks!! So actually it’s coming through the threads. I drained the water in the overflow section. Obviously there was still a tad bit more. It was still coming through the threads, very slowly. I’ve had water in the tank for 2 days first leak only appeared after messing with the piping
 
Coming through the threads still indicates a problem with the gasket. Either water is leaking over the top of the gasket, between the bulkhead and the gasket and getting back to the threads, or it’s leaking under the gasket between the tank and the gasket and getting back to the threads that way.
 
Coming through the threads still indicates a problem with the gasket. Either water is leaking over the top of the gasket, between the bulkhead and the gasket and getting back to the threads, or it’s leaking under the gasket between the tank and the gasket and getting back to the threads that way.
Ya I’m going to clean it up when I get home from work
 
I did the same thing!
I just turned the pipe assembly slightly( because that's all it moved) back to where it was & the leak stopped.
WHEW!!!!!!!!
 
I don’t think my bulkheads have gaskets.... or I’m just crazy

image.jpg
 
Last edited:
There has to be some sort of gasket. If you can drain the overflow by turnning the pump off you could just remove the whole bulkhead and replace it. My tank has no overflow so it would be game over if mine were to leak.
 
There has to be some sort of gasket. If you can drain the overflow by turnning the pump off you could just remove the whole bulkhead and replace it. My tank has no overflow so it would be game over if mine were to leak.
I can it would suck cause I glued my plumbing to it but.. i don’t understand it sat for 3 days with water no leaking until I messed with it.. I think I’m just not installing it right
 
Look at this I don’t get it I hand tightened then did a 1/4 turn!! It’s gushing out
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 96
looks as if your bulkhead nut is broken. drain the overflow section undo the bulkhead and replace it. make sure the gasket is on the inside of the tank not under with the nut.
 
looks as if your bulkhead nut is broken. drain the overflow section undo the bulkhead and replace it. make sure the gasket is on the inside of the tank not under with the nut.
Nooo. These nuts are weird they have weird notches all the way around them evenly spaced.. as if intended..
 
Okay I got it to barely drip through the threads should I try and leave it see if it seals itself with salt creep?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top