I’m setting up a new tank question!

Brian barranco

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
330
Reaction score
147
Location
Oceanside CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to make rose bubble tip anemone tank. Do I need to dose any parameters. 10 gallon and only one bubble tip. Is water changes fine ? I already got a ato to stable salinity.
 
Water changes will be ideal and do not chase numbers to maintain them. Feed 2-3X per week and maintain water quality
 
Water changes will be ideal and do not chase numbers to maintain them. Feed 2-3X per week and maintain water quality

off topic but about doing water changes and not chasing numbers to maintain them... i've started my first reef tank a little over 2 months ago and have started putting my first corals in. 2 hammers, 1 frogspawn, 1 red goniopora, 2 blastos, 1 candycane, 1 pulsing xenia, and a few zoas. at the moment they're all looking very happy. the frogspawn has split into two heads while in my possession, and one of the hammer is almost splitting into two and has 2 more heads growing on the side of it... but... i have not been looking at specific water parameters. i am currently using seawater sourced from my LFS, and have been doing a 20% water change every week or two.

my plans were to start testing for parameters the moment i see the health of my corals deteriorating... think what i'm doing is ok?? if anything i've been testing for nitrates because i've been feeding heavily and i don't want nitrates to spike too high.
 
Good call on testing nitrates regularly. Especially if you are feeding a lot they can spike. 20% weekly water changes is probably what's keeping your majors (CA, Alk, MG) in check. If it were me though I would not wait until I see Coral Health starting to decline to start testing. I would buy either a Red Sea Foundation Pro or set of Salifert test kits and test the major 3 weekly if not bi-weekly. It's definitely a proactive not a reactive thing with keeping those levels balanced. Sounds like a nice set up by the way. I also use natural seawater in my tank but mine is not fortified so I add elements on my own, testing regularly and adding what's needed. It wouldn't hurt to also test phosphate levels. That's a pretty important one too.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top