I can't get my calcium up for nothin....

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2009
Messages
21,934
Reaction score
663
Location
lovely rainy NW Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past couple of weeks I've been battling low calcium numbers, I've been testing and dosing daily and I can't get it to rise for nothing... It's been hovering right at about 260 to 280ppm. I've been very slowly dosing about 30ml of cal daily and it just won't go up at all. I also top off with Kalk, about 2g daily.

My other params are pretty good, Alk 11.5 and Mag 1440. I know my test kit is good because I have two other tanks that I test and the numbers are good on them.

Are my corals taking it in as fast as I can add it because it is so low? What am I doing wrong?
 
Could it be what is being dosed? Not sure if you dose the other tanks with the same solution.
 
I had this exact problem about 2 years ago.No matter how much dosing I did I couldnt get it over 330-350.Turned out my mag test kit was crap.My buddy tested my mag for me and it was waaayyy low.I got a new test kit and started dosing mag and I got my calcium back in the 450 area in no time.I know you said your test kits are good but have someones else test your mag or pickup a new kit.

If you do have a heavy stocked sps dominated reef the sps can chew up a lot of calcium in a day but IMO your calcium still wouldnt drop that low on a daily basis.Another idea is to test your fresh saltwater before you do a waterchange to see what the parameters are.I hope this helps you.
 
Ime you all is a Tad high, your Cal additions are chipping away at that, you have all those calcium hogs, I mean clams ;-) and usually when a perameter is that low, it takes a few large doses to strategy to show an increase. I would dose a bit more. What kind of Cal are you using?
 
I don't think so, I was dosing DIY Cal and wondered the same thing so I went to the LFS and got some Kent liquid calcium and have been dosing it for a few days with similar results.
 
Ime you all is a Tad high, your Cal additions are chipping away at that, you have all those calcium hogs, I mean clams ;-) and usually when a perameter is that low, it takes a few large doses to strategy to show an increase. I would dose a bit more. What kind of Cal are you using?
 
My mag test is good, I'm in the Aqua Craft salt study with everyone else and my numbers are similar to all the others. I do have a second one though and I'll check with both tomorrow night.
 
Sorry double post. Here's a good calculator for dosing. I checked real fast and with aprox 150 us gallons, dissing Kali only it takes almost 30 gallons to bring it to 450 I believe I entered. Just enter in what you are using and your goal as well as total water volume. GL!

Reef Chemistry Calculator
 
I was dosing 2 part in my 120 but with almost all sps and 2 big clams I was up to over 65ml a day in cal so went back to reactor and coral and clams love it just keep the doser for back up
 
I have had excellent results with Kent TurboCalcium to quickly raise my calcium. Maybe Thats worth a try?
 
What's your phosphate level? Calcium will bond to phosphate on an ionic level rendering it useless to corals.
 
The past couple of weeks I've been battling low calcium numbers, I've been testing and dosing daily and I can't get it to rise for nothing... It's been hovering right at about 260 to 280ppm. I've been very slowly dosing about 30ml of cal daily and it just won't go up at all. I also top off with Kalk, about 2g daily.

What am I doing wrong?

It's going to take around 2 liters of Recipe 1 to get where you want to be - when were you planning on getting there at 30mL per day? :-)

Also you kinda let out that you have no idea what your tank's consumption rate is (which is prolly how the number got so far off?) and this is also pretty important - but a seperate issue. No reason to conflate them.

First, if you don't have a good dripper, buy or make one. Slowly drip 1L of Ca overnight and retest. Zero in on you target with two or three "half doses" like this that are dripped in. Half-doses help you to account for vagueries in testing - results aren't too accurate the further away from 400 you get for a few reasons. The dripping prevents any bad chemistry side-effects (which are pretty unlikely with any normal size Ca dose) from adding too fast.

Once you get back to your target numbers (expect your Alk to fall as Ca comes back up too) then you should run tests without dosing at least a few days in a row, at the same time of day each time (for a week if you can) and measure the daily consumption of Ca and Alk. From then on, you should really be dosing the tank daily according to its consumption rate and see no (or very little) variation in your test results.

Good luck!

-Matt
 
So how'd it go?

I haven't had time yet to do it, this is a crazy week with school concerts, family and friends coming over etc. I may have time tomorrow night to do all the testing.

It's going to take around 2 liters of Recipe 1 to get where you want to be - when were you planning on getting there at 30mL per day? :-)

Also you kinda let out that you have no idea what your tank's consumption rate is (which is prolly how the number got so far off?) and this is also pretty important - but a seperate issue. No reason to conflate them.

First, if you don't have a good dripper, buy or make one. Slowly drip 1L of Ca overnight and retest. Zero in on you target with two or three "half doses" like this that are dripped in. Half-doses help you to account for vagueries in testing - results aren't too accurate the further away from 400 you get for a few reasons. The dripping prevents any bad chemistry side-effects (which are pretty unlikely with any normal size Ca dose) from adding too fast.

Once you get back to your target numbers (expect your Alk to fall as Ca comes back up too) then you should run tests without dosing at least a few days in a row, at the same time of day each time (for a week if you can) and measure the daily consumption of Ca and Alk. From then on, you should really be dosing the tank daily according to its consumption rate and see no (or very little) variation in your test results.

Good luck!

-Matt

Good points, I need to see where I'm at for daily consumption and get on the ball with proper dosing. I'll be the first to admit that I am horrible at keeping up on testing.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top