I harvested some fish roe yesterday morn.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2014
Messages
7,164
Reaction score
16,239
Location
north east Fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got some real nice fresh roe from 2 ,spotted sea trout I caught yesterday morning. This stuff is nice & fresh ! The roe is contained in a thin membrane of sorts 7 very small so I use a small pair of sharp scissors and carefully cut it open & lay it flat. I then take a paring knife & scrape it off dumping it in a small container with water from the tank I'm feeding. just now after lights out dumped some in the 75 coral tank. I did unplug the return pump and let the power heads blow it around the tank. For the fish I just cut small sections off & feed them. Talk about a treat !
So I'm not sure how it would stand up to freezing. Think I could brine it 1st? Not sure as I don't want the fishes & corals to consume real salty foods. Also when broad cast feeding corals( unpluging the return & letting the currents to carry the roe to them ) how much to add & how long to leave thereturn unplugged ? My guess is HPIM8705.JPG it would be trial & error. Any Op's would be appreciated Thanks !

ps I prepared some rice piloff & steamed some veggies. Then I cooked the trout in a hot pan with olive oil & some Tony's cajun seasoning.. I liked it ! LOL
 
Hello, I got some real nice fresh roe from 2 ,spotted sea trout I caught yesterday morning. This stuff is nice & fresh ! The roe is contained in a thin membrane of sorts 7 very small so I use a small pair of sharp scissors and carefully cut it open & lay it flat. I then take a paring knife & scrape it off dumping it in a small container with water from the tank I'm feeding. just now after lights out dumped some in the 75 coral tank. I did unplug the return pump and let the power heads blow it around the tank. For the fish I just cut small sections off & feed them. Talk about a treat !
So I'm not sure how it would stand up to freezing. Think I could brine it 1st? Not sure as I don't want the fishes & corals to consume real salty foods. Also when broad cast feeding corals( unpluging the return & letting the currents to carry the roe to them ) how much to add & how long to leave thereturn unplugged ? My guess is HPIM8705.JPG it would be trial & error. Any Op's would be appreciated Thanks !

ps I prepared some rice piloff & steamed some veggies. Then I cooked the trout in a hot pan with olive oil & some Tony's cajun seasoning.. I liked it ! LOL

What about freezing them in water from your tank? Then you could just drop in frozen cubes and let it thaw in rank.
 
Thanks for the reply's ! I froze the roe It looks ok. I snipped small pieces with some scissors and added some to my fish mix today.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top