I have got this red spot on my rock?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hetts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Hetts

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2020
Messages
313
Reaction score
98
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this spot yesterday and it looks to be coralline algae red, but I’m honestly not sure and wanted some other opinions. From what I’ve read that type of algae is fine and just shows tank is becoming fully established. What else could this possibly be? Thanks!

1A0E96EC-CFF4-482A-98F6-976859742896.jpeg 16931A45-4875-45A8-8D74-2524BBD708EA.jpeg
 
The kinda circular patch at the center of the photo looks like the beginnings of cyanobacteria to me. If this is a new tank I would do some research on it but don't sweat it, it's very normal during the early phases of a reef tank.
 
The kinda circular patch at the center of the photo looks like the beginnings of cyanobacteria to me. If this is a new tank I would do some research on it but don't sweat it, it's very normal during the early phases of a reef tank.
It’s about a month old tank and Cyanobacteria, isn’t that more blue green algae? I mean this spot is a light red color
 
I agree that it looks like the start of Cyano.
Cyano can be red and is often called red slime algae. Here is a screen shot of some random pics from the internet
Screenshot_20200626-135255_Google.jpg
 
I agree that it looks like the start of Cyano.
Cyano can be red and is often called red slime algae. Here is a screen shot of some random pics from the internet
Screenshot_20200626-135255_Google.jpg
What can I do to get rid of it
 
What can I do to get rid of it
Since your tank is still new, I would just try brushing it off into a syphon during a water change and maybe increase your flow. Like ludnix stated above, don't sweat it. A new tank can get a whole lot of ugly before it starts looking good
 
Since your tank is still new, I would just try brushing it off into a syphon during a water change and maybe increase your flow. Like ludnix stated above, don't sweat it. A new tank can get a whole lot of ugly before it starts looking good
Yeah it's totally normal during this stage, to the point where I would not even try to treat it. If it's totally unsightly then brushing it off or siphoning it out works great. If the tank is 6+ months along and it's got a bad case of cyano it's usually from low flow and too much feeding or lack of waterchanges (among other nutrient export options).
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top