I left the power off for 4 hours what do i do??

Pudgeshambley

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2022
Messages
177
Reaction score
92
Location
Graham
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon with two clownfish. It has been running a little over three months. I turned everything off earlier in order to add some copepods. It was just easier to turn the main switch off. I was also acclimating some shrimp for my other tank and completely forgot to turn everything back on. The clownfish were laying in the corner when I came in. I tested for ammonia and put an air stone in. They are swimming around now. Temperature dropped to 74. Are they going to be okay? Anything else I should do?
 
Just turn it back on; you should be fine.
 
I wouldn't stress it too much. I've had power outages longer than that. Unless you have some huge clowns jammed into that 20.
OK. Thanks. They are a pair of orange storm clownfish. Are they too big? I had to move from my other tank because they started bullying my goby and killed my blenny, allegedly. Don't know if i should have went bigger.
 
OK. Thanks. They are a pair of orange storm clownfish. Are they too big? I had to move from my other tank because they started bullying my goby and killed my blenny, allegedly. Don't know if i should have went bigger.
Nice, I can understand why you would be worried. I still think they'll be ok.
 
Should I leave the air stone on for a while or is the return pump and skimmer enough?
Based on what I know, you will be fine with the skimmer being enough. It won't hurt to leave the air stone on for a while. If it gives you peace of mind, then leave it on for a while.

I have historically had the power go down for a lot longer than 4 hours, and everything was fine. I now have a generator backup and battery backup - the battery backup bridges a couple of minutes between when the commercial power fails, and the generator warms up prior to the house switching over to the generator power.
 
They should be absolutely fine they are hardy fish and turn the power back on. I’ve made this mistake more than once and lost power for a few hours and have yet to lose anything knock on wood.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top