I need help with Metric to Imperial PVC!

  • Thread starter Thread starter d2mini
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
5,133
Reaction score
8,745
Location
Houston, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some input from our Euro Reefers! :)

I have a GHL flow meter and I'm trying to attach the 25mm threads to my 1" pipe.
They offer adapters, but the adapters are 25mm thread to 3/4" slip.
I want to either go straight to 1" or upsize.

So i purchased this item...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282069022278?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
s-l500.jpg


You can't see it in the pic, but the threads go almost all the way through, and the other end is beveled, both inside and out.
So I'm assuming this is a bushing that is meant to go INSIDE pvc pipe.
The question is, what size??? The description says the outer diameter is 1.5" but it is not. The OD is around 1.85" or 47mm.
I know BRS sells metric to imperial PVC adapters but I'm really confused and don't know what I need. Pretty sure other countries go by the OD where we go by the ID.

Any help is appreciated.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Dennis, do you have a spec sheet or thread description of the GHL flow meter?
There are a massive loads of threadings possible depending on equipment intend to use, pressure rating etc. :-(

Andre
 
Might be worth a call to brs to ask. Let us know!
 
Dennis, do you have a spec sheet or thread description of the GHL flow meter?
There are a massive loads of threadings possible depending on equipment intend to use, pressure rating etc. :-(

Andre

The GHL is 25mm straight (not tapered) threads. Very uncommon. Most are tapered. The adaptor above fits great. I'm trying to figure out the slip end of it.
 
This is always fun. You need a set of thread gauges if you don't know for sure what the thread is. A lot of metric/ European threads can be bsp/bspp/bspt. A set of thread gauges will give you tpi and pitch. You can distinguish if they are parallel or tapered threads. Any machine shop will have some. Not sure that they sell them at hardware stores. If I had to guess they are probably bspp threads. But you never know.
 
This is always fun. You need a set of thread gauges if you don't know for sure what the thread is. A lot of metric/ European threads can be bsp/bspp/bspt. A set of thread gauges will give you tpi and pitch. You can distinguish if they are parallel or tapered threads. Any machine shop will have some. Not sure that they sell them at hardware stores. If I had to guess they are probably bspp threads. But you never know.

See above. This is not about the threads. This is about the other end.
 
The OD on 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 (and schedule 80 as well), is 1.900 inches. Could this fit into a fitting for 1 1/2 PVC.....that's my guess?
 
The OD on 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 (and schedule 80 as well), is 1.900 inches. Could this fit into a fitting for 1 1/2 PVC.....that's my guess?

Unfortunately this doesn't fit any USA pvc.
Pretty sure I tried the fittings but will double check.
 
The GHL is 25mm straight (not tapered) threads. Very uncommon. Most are tapered. The adaptor above fits great. I'm trying to figure out the slip end of it.

All right, this is very likely then a R1 Straight thread.

Means a regular threaded 1" straight water piping thread.
Europe mostly banned the Inch pipe threads in conical shape.
These threads are like connections on Danner Mag Drives etc.

You seal those with liquid or tape teflon for water applications.

I would go to the plumbing department at Home Depot since they have adapters to PVC piping in straight thread 1".

Hope that helps.

Andre
 
The OD on 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 (and schedule 80 as well), is 1.900 inches. Could this fit into a fitting for 1 1/2 PVC.....that's my guess?

At Home Depot now. I think u might be correct!
 
Well dang it! It DID fit in a 1.25" coupling! :eek:
I thought I had 1.5" fittings but I mis-judged... they were 1.25" fittings. :rolleyes:
So ends up what i needed was imperial, not metric after all.
Thanks for helping me work through being an idiot. :D

Here's a pic of what it ends up looking like.
The grey end will attach to the flowmeter. The 1" reducer will connect to my current plumbing.

i-4pdXv5m-L.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top