I need to catch all my fish. ICH infestation

juanmanuelsanchez

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2017
Messages
322
Reaction score
62
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even despite all my QT efforts ich came to my DT just when I was leaving to vacations, suffice to say, I took massive casualties.

I still have some survivers that are not easy to catch, and I need them out of the tank ASAP.

One is a blue tang, another one its a leopard wrasse, a clownfish and a wild caught fish.

I need ideas on how to catch them.

So far I tried netting, no luck,

Now Im using a huge net with food in the end to see if the fish come in, no nothing.

Please help me out.

Thanks !
 
More information would help such as the size of the tank. Use egg crate to separate the tank into sections. You'll probably have to move rock around. Leaving the fish in a section which would be easier to net.
 
More information would help such as the size of the tank. Use egg crate to separate the tank into sections. You'll probably have to move rock around. Leaving the fish in a section which would be easier to net.
That's actually a good idea.

Any more?
 
In addition to above use two nets. One to chase and one to catch. Chase them into a net stationed by a corner or rock they default to hiding in. If you chase them a couple times they will often have a set "escape" route you will notice. Some may hide in a rock or tube that you can simply put a large net under as you lift the rock out of the tank.
 
I've used red nets at night to catch fish and AquaMedic's fish trap for the rest.
 
Homemade fish trap using eggcrate, fishing line, and zip ties.

Fish-Trap-1.jpg
Fish-Trap-2.jpg
 
I have found the best bet for tough to catch fish is to wait until the middle of the night and switch on the lights full blast. The fish will be stunned to the point where you can reach in and pick them up. This will only work if the fish do not hide within the crevices of the live rock though. I would try the trap methods first though....I am not sure how stressful this would be on fish infected with ICH already.
 
I have found the best bet for tough to catch fish is to wait until the middle of the night and switch on the lights full blast. The fish will be stunned to the point where you can reach in and pick them up. This will only work if the fish do not hide within the crevices of the live rock though. I would try the trap methods first though....I am not sure how stressful this would be on fish infected with ICH already.
Still not able to take the fish out. I will try the lights tonight.

Thanks
 
The lights trick worked, even on the tang that likes to sleep in a cave.

Still have to catch the wrasse... Any ideas on how to do catch it? He is not interested in frozen food
 
Updates? The key is to make the fish scared of your hand, NOT the net.
 
How I caught our wrasse out of our tank was to watch where he buried in the sand ( when we had sand) and I put a specimen cup in the sand near where I thought he was and used a net or my hand to slowly move him in the cup while he was still buried and quickly pulled it out. Wrasses are tough. Hope you catch him
 
So... I just found out where the wrasse is sleeping. Should I wait until the very night to make all lights on and un buried it? It should be in zombie mode...
 
The lights trick worked, even on the tang that likes to sleep in a cave.

Still have to catch the wrasse... Any ideas on how to do catch it? He is not interested in frozen food
Glad it worked :-)
 
So... I just found out where the wrasse is sleeping. Should I wait until the very night to make all lights on and un buried it? It should be in zombie mode...
If that is what you have to do to get him out then, yes. As soon as he buries himself, you can scoop him out.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top